UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2016, 6:22 pm   #1
DrTerror
Retired Dormant Member

Default New acquisitions thread?

Hi guys,
been trawling through the forum trying to find something akin to the above,but have not found anything.

As a total amateur,I would love to see a thread like this,as it could include basic details of the work required to bring the item up to scratch,so on and such forth!.

Obviously doesn't need to be just radio based!,anything old,about to be restored/repaired/or even just cleaned up! would be of great interest to myself!.

Obviously there are a lot of 'old hands' at this vintage restoration/repair work on here,and I for one would love to read about (and see pics) of their latest projects!.

Mike
Old 15th Dec 2016, 6:32 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: New acquisitions thread?

There's a "Success Stories" section:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...splay.php?f=34

If you're looking for basic repair and restoration information, see here:-

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 7:02 pm   #3
DrTerror
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
There's a "Success Stories" section:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...splay.php?f=34

If you're looking for basic repair and restoration information, see here:-

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html
Thanks for the pointer there Station X!,I will be sure to check them out!.

But I was thinking more along the lines of this example though...

Just acquired a 1979 Amstrad 6010,obvious work is a total case clean up,aerial cleaned,and screwed back in to its original position,battery terminals cleaned,all pots and switches cleaned,it sounds,and tunes in OK,so I don't think it needs re calibrating.
Good job I checked the plug before I plugged it in,as neither terminals inside it had been tightened whatsoever!(I checked it out with batteries first).
All in all,not bad for £20 delivered.It actually sounds better than I was expecting,in fact,I wasn't expecting it to work at all!

Before pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6010.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	134459  

Last edited by DrTerror; 15th Dec 2016 at 7:10 pm.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 8:01 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I wouldn't have thought that a specific section for this would be necessary. As stated, "success stories" for completed projects and the category appropriate to the item for work in progress seem to have it covered between them.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 8:16 pm   #5
DrTerror
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I wouldn't have thought that a specific section for this would be necessary. As stated, "success stories" for completed projects and the category appropriate to the item for work in progress seem to have it covered between them.
I was more interested in acquisitions of all sorts,rather than just success stories though,so vintage audio gear (of all sorts),acquired just for parts,would be just as interesting to me,as a full success story!.

But to be fair,I have an inquiring mind,so I would be just as enthralled over a Howard rotovator restoration,as I would a Quad 303 resto!.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 10:26 pm   #6
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTerror View Post
But to be fair,I have an inquiring mind,so I would be just as enthralled over a Howard rotovator restoration,as I would a Quad 303 resto!.
And if that's what you want there are fora devoted to such things.

This forum is, as it says in the title, devoted to vintage electronics. If we try to cover all aspects of vintage restoration, collection, and so forth we will fail to do justice to any of them.
Old 17th Dec 2016, 12:04 am   #7
Oldcodger
Nonode

An idea for the mods. Today, I posted in "where to get" forum, as I'd found that Maplin are selling off pre sensitised boards (of two sizes at certain stores at very low prices). A few members had not noticed this, but grabbed a chance
Perhaps ,we might have a "bargain board" forum , where if a bargain is found, then word can be spread.
Old 17th Dec 2016, 1:30 am   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Where to get sets and parts covers anything and everything. Whether it's a bargain or not would depend on individual interests. Another section would just make two to read rather than one.
Closed Thread