UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2015, 3:56 pm   #1
paperboy
Tetrode

Default New to phones

Greetings, I acquired this bakelite handset from ebay for about £40. It is Indian made and I assume a 232? It works and although the caller hears loud and clear, the volume is low at the receiving end. It has a BT white connector which I plugged straight in without going through a filter. The ring also has less volume than I would have expected. I've used it a couple of times when we've had a power outage here - trouble is if you're reporting a problem to the electricity board you inevitably need a touch keypad! I would like to pep it up a bit and wondered the best way of doing it. There is a space for a drawer but it's blanked off. Is it possible to remove that and insert a drawer? Our first phone in the '50s was I believe a 232. The nearest main exchange was, I believe in Dundee but our number was, again from distant memory Newtyle 329. I guess there are people who replicate these discs for the dial. Any help would be much appreciated - especially if kept simple for a newbee.Some pictures attached. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone232small.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	116776   Click image for larger version

Name:	HandsetITT.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	116777   Click image for larger version

Name:	handsetbase.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	116778  
Old 11th Dec 2015, 4:02 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: New to phones

Hello,

This is indeed made by ITI in India, and may not be as old as its appearance suggests.

It's based on the GPO 300-series. The 200-series were pyramid-shaped.

Good replica dial labels can be had on eBay for very little and are a lovely touch.

More info here: http://www.telephonecollecting.org/B...ITI%20332s.htm

N.
Old 11th Dec 2015, 4:08 pm   #3
paperboy
Tetrode

Thanks Nick, that's a good read. P
Old 11th Dec 2015, 7:37 pm   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

If you want a dial label: http://joefreeman.weebly.com/dial-labels.html The red and white design would be the most appropriate.

— Joe
Old 11th Dec 2015, 10:04 pm   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

And how about this Dialling Code Card for the drawer that is sadly missing from your phone

Sadly you cannot fit a drawer to an ITI phone because the components on the base would prevent it from closing. You cannot fit the 'innards' of a GPO pattern phone into an ITI case as the three threaded brass inserts are not cast into the ITI bases.

Newtyle exchange was a UAX13 (Unit Automatic eXchange) which had STD provided in 1970. It had a three digit numbering scheme with the STD code 0828 5 until it moved into the 0828 'Linked Numbering Scheme' in about 1986. From then onwards it would have had six digit numbers and no need to dial a code to reach other numbers with the STD code of just 0828. Dundee was reached by dialling a 9 which Newtyle had the code 995 from Dundee (or 9095 from other exchanges off Dundee. The exchange can be seen here http://tinyurl.com/NewtyleUAX13

Ian
CNet 0352 2345
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	!DCC-Newtyle.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	116813  
Old 12th Dec 2015, 1:30 pm   #6
paperboy
Tetrode

Hi Ian, Brilliant. I remember that exchange. I think it's long gone and a private house stands on the site now. The red phone box at the junction of Dundee Road is still there. We used to ring friends in Newtyle by tapping the receiver cradle to reach their number - three times for 3, two for 2 etc and getting through for nothing. Thanks also for the info on the missing drawer. That'll save me a job! Cheers Ron.
Old 12th Dec 2015, 3:01 pm   #7
paperboy
Tetrode

Hi Ian, Here is the printed disc inset. Cheers, Ron.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	phone329.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	116855  
Old 12th Dec 2015, 6:08 pm   #8

A rather splendid reproduction (or re-manufacture), is it proper bakelite? Well done India.

Old 12th Dec 2015, 10:07 pm   #9
paperboy
Tetrode

Certainly looks like Bakelite, feels the weight of Bakelite and the cracks -possibly visible in some of the pics - cracks like Bakelite. Certainly doesn't appear to be plastic.
Closed Thread