UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2019, 1:13 pm   #1
KOI1953
Diode

Default Fidelity rad 21

As a teenager in the 1970’s I bought a Fidelity Rad21 which was a great transistor Radio. Do any members know if any still exist for sale? Secondhand or for spares / repair etc
Many thanks
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 2:02 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Fidelity rad 21

They crop up quite frequently on eBay though there doesn't seem to be a 21 listed at the moment. They aren't especially sought after so you can expect to pay maybe £20 plus postage.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 5:56 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

The RAD21 looks like a decent radio for 1972, 5 wave bands including MB and FM to 108MHz, a cut above their normal models.
Many other makes and models were still only offering FM up to 104MHz even as late as 1980.

Mike
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 6:13 pm   #4
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

I think the Rad21 is better than the LW/MW/VHF Rad23. The Rad23 has inherently sticking tuning and less good audio compared to similar sized Sony, ITT-KB, Pye/Philips of the era.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/fidelity_rad21rad_2.html
8 x C cells for battery. At least I assume C cells rather than AA.

I did nearly buy a Rad21 off ebay myself. You can create a search that automatically emails you.

The Rad23 has a different tuning cord mechanism and a smaller case.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/fidelity_rad23.html
A PP9 battery. Less life and few places sell them now (€6 in B&Q though isn't bad).

Last edited by Mike. Watterson; 3rd Jul 2019 at 6:16 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 6:24 pm   #5
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

The Rad21 is mysteriously in 1975-76, my very last R&TVS
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 6:41 pm   #6
mhennessy
Dekatron

The RAD21 uses D cells.

Uses a decent 4" by 8" speaker made by Elac - my two examples have slightly different models, but both are good performers. The amp driving them is pretty good too. Ignoring postage, For what it's worth, I paid £20 for one of mine, and £6.99 for the other, but that was back in 2012. Really must get around to restoring them, but time is short these days. They're full of Lockfits, so that'll be a labour of love

As Mike (crackle) says, definitely a cut above the rest of their range - by quite some margin IMHO. We had one in the house when I was a kid, and was always impressed with it.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 6:46 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Fidelity radios always had an element of 'fur coat an no drawers' about them, but they cost a lot less than their Hacker and Grundig contemporaries.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 7:56 pm   #8
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

That's a seriously better speaker than the Rad23 and Alkaline D cells will last a long while (Aldi or a pound shop, the saving of Zinc Chloride /Carbon or extra expense of Energiser/Duracell not worth it)
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 11:20 pm   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

You might be interested too in the Rad 18, to my mind Fidelity's best ever portable radio. It's a slightly earlier version of the Rad 21, exactly the same features with all its controls in the same places, but in a wooden cabinet rather than the 21's plastic case with screwed-on wooden side cheeks. A little heavier, but with noticeably better sound quality: at least that's my memory of them, I still have a Rad 18 but my 21 is long gone. Quite understood of course if the exact model you used to have is the only one that appeals to you now.

Paul
Old 4th Jul 2019, 7:44 am   #10
Restoration73
Nonode

I've seen both 18's and 21's from £1 up at rallies. Easy to repair. I bought a new 21 at trade price in my first job (1976) so it had a long production run. We were a Roberts dealer but I was too impecunious to afford a R707.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 6:32 pm   #11
KOI1953
Diode

Thanks. Yes it does seem that Fidelity Rad18 and 21’s do appear from time to time at car boot sales etc. Sadly never at ones I’m at. Same with eBay - always seem to miss them!
I did like my Rad 21 but as has been pointed out to me Rad 18 was great too.
Closed Thread