UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2019, 7:33 pm   #1
G4_Pete
Hexode

Default R209 MkII/B wafer switch S2C S2D advice

Hi, Ref photo it looks like the contact on S2 C/D fouled one of the contacts and bent it out of shape, the rotating contact is also badly warped so that it misses the other contacts instead sliding between the contact pairs.

I am not sure how to tackle this as the wafer is embedded in the RF enclosure. I have not attempted anything yet but was wondering if the shaft could be withdrawn to allow the wafer to be withdrawn but even then wires on the bottom look inaccessible to a soldering iron.

Any Ideas.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R209 Wafer S2C S2D.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	186219  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 7:43 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: R209 MkII/B wafer switch S2C S2D advice

Hi Pete, looks like a case for some micro surgery.
If all else fails I may be able to find you a suitable wafer, but the replacement job is equally horrendous.

Ed
Old 6th Jul 2019, 9:50 pm   #3
G4_Pete
Hexode

Default Re: R209 MkII/B wafer switch S2C S2D advice

Hi Ed,
I managed to recover the switch using a combination of small de-soldering hooked tools and prods and some wooden ice lolly sticks and a magnifying glass. The thing that made the whole job possible was disconnecting the indexing cog so the wafers could be rotated gently back and forth to check for correct operation and no catching. Before I removed the indexing cog I crunched up the switch again due to the force required to change bands completely masking the mechanical fouling.
This was my key learning from this repair.

Pete
Closed Thread