UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2017, 10:20 pm   #1
Sparks
Heptode

Default Telephone systems for control towers and air traffic control.

Nowadays ATC service providers often use off-the-shelf systems from companies such as Schmid and Frequentis. In the 1970s and 1980s it was commonplace for 'home made' systems to be used at British ATC units, often utilising the ubiquitous PO Type 1000 lever key switch and illuminated push-button switch panels. Is there anyone on these forums who has experience of designing, building or using these systems and networks ? What other equipment and technology was used to provide the telephone links across British ATC ?

I work in the aviation industry, not in ATC, but I take a big interest in the technical aspects of the job so I would like to hear any relevant recollections and the like.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 12:11 am   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Telephone systems for control towers and air traffic control.

I am ex CAA/NATS or whatever it is nowadays but it's that long ago now that I can't remember what system they used then (about mid eighties). I remember that the key and lamp units were popular, and those large lever switches everywhere on little panels. You may well be right that the systems were bespoke rather than off the shelf. In later control room jobs the ADEKS system was used. Air Defence Electronic Keying System? I may be wrong with that one though. As I said, it's been a while!
Alan.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 8:46 am   #3
Sparks
Heptode

Thanks Giggles. I haven't heard of ADEKS but I am familiar with ATOTNE, Mediator and Linesman. I think these related to the phone lines and exchanges used in ATC.
I seem to remember Fujitsu was one company involved in designing telephone equipment used in NATS control towers.
Old 15th Aug 2017, 8:31 am   #4
RexLester
Retired Dormant Member

ADEKS was quite common in the 80's, I ended up in Oman installing it along with Telebrief. Telebrief lets you you talk to the jockeys (1-2-1 or 1-2-many) in their cockpits without using the RT
Old 15th Aug 2017, 2:29 pm   #5
LeakyGrid
Rest in Peace

In the late 1950s early 60s, working as a technical writer, I was involved in the conversion of the Type 85 radar from its missile guidance role to air traffic control.

Communication between controllers was handled by a new system supplied by Ericssons Telephones of Beeston, Nottingham. The relay units were fairly standard, but the audio units were solid state and used the then new OC71s etc. My memory of these units is a bit vague now, but I recall the use of emitter-followers with a common load to mix controller channels, and super-alpha pairs to increase input resistance.

The level of technology can be judged from the fact that the video for the target labels on the ppi displays was produced by video cameras scanning artwork of the characters.

Roger

Last edited by LeakyGrid; 15th Aug 2017 at 2:31 pm. Reason: spelling correction
Old 16th Aug 2017, 8:01 am   #6
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Hi NATS at the new tower in Manchester airport they have a Nortel ( Avaya) Meridian that I installed a couple or years ago

Dave