UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2018, 9:08 pm   #1
Spencervs
Hexode

Default Sona PJ26 percolator needs a new coil

Hi guys, I inherited this percolator from my grandad but it was needing an adjustment as the timing was wrong to make a good brew (I think this is the screw in the switch?). I was tinkering with it and then the coil element which keeps the coffee warm actually disintegrated! I was wondering if anyone knows a replacement part I could get?

It would be a shame to lose this as I think it would be a lovely addition to my home... Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_205933.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	160040   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_210015.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	160041   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_210048.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	160042   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_210116.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	160043  
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 9:20 pm   #2
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Re: Sona PJ26 percolator needs a new coil

I had one of these which stopped keeping the coffee warm but still percolated. I never realised there were two elements. I continued to use it, but as the coffee cooled the percolating element would cut back in and start it off percolating again. To stop that I just unplugged it when the coffee was ready.

I doubt that they were ever made to be repairable and if you want to preserve it for sentimental reasons then you could probably buy another for spares. They were often given as wedding presents, used until the first bag of coffee was finished then put away so there is a chance you could get a good one quite cheaply. The polished aluminium body scratches easily with use so it should be possible to judge how much use it has had from a photograph.

If you do get another keep the Bakelite connector safe as they are difficult to obtain these days
Old 9th Apr 2018, 5:24 pm   #3
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencervs View Post
Hi guys, I inherited this percolator from my grandad but it was needing an adjustment as the timing was wrong to make a good brew (I think this is the screw in the switch?). I was tinkering with it and then the coil element which keeps the coffee warm actually disintegrated! I was wondering if anyone knows a replacement part I could get?
Do you think you can sneak in a 2500 ohm, 25 watt wire wound resistor in there close to where the original element was. It should work!
Old 10th Apr 2018, 9:12 am   #4
Freya
Octode

There are a few 230 volt mains cup warmers on ebay for £3.19 from China, maybe the element would be suitable to include in the percolator.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 12:23 pm   #5
electronicskip
Nonode

You would be amazed how many of those we used to get through the electronics recycling centre I used to work for not too long ago.
We used to try and resell them after the appropriate testing but no one wanted them sad to say.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 6:24 pm   #6
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Can I suggest that you sign up for your local Freecycle or Freegle groups and post a "Wanted" advert for one for spares, as someone else commented, these were often received as wedding presents and hardly used, so you might be lucky
Closed Thread