UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2012, 10:33 am   #1
Donkey1
Retired Dormant Member

Default AVO8 help required.

Hi,

I have acquired what I believe is an Avo 8 MkV; a British Telecom MMR.14.C with what I presume is a manufacture date of 8/86.

I bought this for we have recently left land and moved onto a rather lovely barge, and I now need to learn all about boat electrics (DC as well as AC) - and thought I'd start with a quality meter!

Could anyone please point me in the direction of a manual for this model please, and tell me which batteries I should be using for it?

With many thanks

Dave
Old 4th May 2012, 5:02 pm   #2
Vicboduk
Hexode

Default Re: AVO8 help required.

Hi Dave, A copy of the maual can be found in the link here. The batteries you require are a 1.5v D cell and a 15v B121. The later are available but can be expensive. You could have a go at making your own using 5 x 3v lithium button cells (here). You only need the B121 if you intend to make use of the higher resistance ranges.

Vic

Edit; I think your meter could be a MK6

Last edited by Vicboduk; 4th May 2012 at 5:09 pm.
Old 9th May 2012, 5:06 pm   #3
Donkey1
Retired Dormant Member

PMM and Vic,

Thanks for your guidance.

And yes, mine is a Mk6 machine.

Sincere thanks for all your help

Dave
Old 12th May 2012, 7:25 pm   #4
datadiffusion
Retired Dormant Member

Not a bad choice for boat work - lots of annoying, transient faults probably best shown on an analogue scale! And no batteries required either for the voltmeter section because there is no such thing as an all night garage when your in the middle of nowhere (assuming you are in the middle of nowhere!). Hope your boat is pretty much working already, I know from experience it's a nightmare living on a work-in-progress! Good luck with living on the water - hopefully you'll love it!
Closed Thread