UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2008, 4:22 am   #1
petervk2mlg
Heptode

Default "Vera Drake". Radio/TV identification.

I wonder if members can identify these three vintage items from a film entitled Vera Drake. The film was made in 2004, but was screened on SBS TV here in Australia a few nights agoon SBS (The multicultural TV channel here in Australia).
The tall timber radio is I think a Cossor 375U, but what about the TV and the smaller radio in the screen shots below. The film is set in Britain in 1950. The family with the Cossor was not well-to-do so I guess still having the Cossor is plausible.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vera drake TV_1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	15630   Click image for larger version

Name:	veradraketv.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	15631   Click image for larger version

Name:	vera drake radio.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	15632   Click image for larger version

Name:	vera drake radio_1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	15633  
Old 5th Mar 2008, 5:39 am   #2
Derek
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Radio/TV identification

The smaller radio on the mantel piece looks like a Pilot perhaps
Old 5th Mar 2008, 9:41 am   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

More like an Emerson than anything to me, but they made hundreds upon hundreds of models and there were quite a few smaller companies producing sets of similar appearance. The Emerson here http://www.radiotiques.com/whatsnew.asp definitely isn't the model in the screenshot, but is the closest to it turned up by a quick trawl of images - the square dial with large black pointer does much resemble some Emersons I've seen.

Paul
Old 5th Mar 2008, 10:01 am   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

The Tv has a Sobel or slightly Phillips look about it ?
Old 5th Mar 2008, 1:00 pm   #5
petervk2mlg
Heptode

The TV looks like a TV/radio console combination. Was that common in the early days?
Peter
Old 5th Mar 2008, 2:14 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by petervk2mlg View Post
The tall timber radio is I think a Cossor 375U, but what about the TV and the smaller radio in the screen shots below. The film is set in Britain in 1950. The family with the Cossor was not well-to-do so I guess still having the Cossor is plausible.
Peter
Most working class British households would still have been renting a 1930s radio in 1950. The typical history would be:

1920s: Crystal set
1930s-40s: Rented valve TRF or superhet, often using batteries
1950s: Purchased 5 valve wooden superhet
1960s: Purchased transistor portable

Remember that there was very little UK domestic radio production in the 1940s, at first because of the war effort and later because of the 'export or die' emphasis on foreign markets. It was quite unusual for even lower middle class people to own more than one radio before the 60s.

Paul
Old 5th Mar 2008, 5:21 pm   #7
Derek
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petervk2mlg View Post
The TV looks like a TV/radio console combination. Was that common in the early days?
Peter
I agree it looks a little odd for the period, there were some combination types which also even included a record player in the late 50s (notably by Ekco), but the earlier combination types were like giant sideboards. This one appears to have 'chrome' faced knobs which surely didn't arrive until the 1960s. Perhaps a home made cabinet or foreign type?
Old 5th Mar 2008, 6:44 pm   #8
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Tvs with built in radios were available from the 30s untill the present , though after the 60s probably mostly in portables . late 50s onwards they were often only VHF
Old 6th Mar 2008, 9:58 pm   #9
yestertech
Nonode

Just saw a trailer for a rerun of this tonight on one of the cable channels ( 9pm I think ??) If anyone can record it ? A.
Old 6th Mar 2008, 11:32 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by setsappeal View Post
Just saw a trailer for a rerun of this tonight on one of the cable channels ( 9pm I think ??) If anyone can record it ? A.
It is being shown at intervals on Film4 at the moment. Unfortunately I saw your post too late to record tonight's showing.

A very moving film, though extremely bleak, even by Mike Leigh standards. The period feel is very impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I agree [the TV] looks a little odd for the period, there were some combination types which also even included a record player in the late 50s (notably by Ekco), but the earlier combination types were like giant sideboards. This one appears to have 'chrome' faced knobs which surely didn't arrive until the 1960s. Perhaps a home made cabinet or foreign type?
I don't recognize it either, but it looks plausible for 1950 to me. This is an upper middle class household and I imagine the set is supposed to be expensive and new (the telephone in the room is another sign of affluence - most people didn't have phones at all in 1950, and the ones that did mostly had them on a small table in the hallway by the front door).

Paul
Old 28th Mar 2011, 8:56 pm   #11
Andy Green
Hexode

Default Vera Drake TV ident

I know there was a thread on this a couple of years ago, but the results were inconclusive.
( https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ght=Vera+Drake )

Anyone see this film last night? period detail looked very good to me (although I wasn't around in 1950!)

Anyone ID the TV?

Andy EI3HG
Old 28th Mar 2011, 10:41 pm   #12
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Vera Drake TV ident

Its a GEC BT9144 of 1949
Closed Thread