UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2020, 9:58 am   #21
sparkymike
Octode

Default Re: Best adhesive for paxolin

I would cut a new plate out of slightly thicker paxolin, using the old parts as a pattern. We used to use it in all thicknesses from 1 to 20 mm.
If the board needs to be thinner where it slides, then a router would do the job.
Mike.
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 10:27 am   #22
kalee20
Dekatron

I'd use epoxy on Paxolin, for anything permanent.

Worth cleaning thoroughly first (unless a fresh, uncontaminated break).

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I use Araldite "Precision" for this type of thing, it does take hours to set but sticks like **** to a blanket. There is a quote "Longer is stronger".
I use the slower Araldite by choice, too. RS stock it. You get more time to clamp the joint, align it, etc.

Curing in an airing cupboard speeds things up if you're impatient (and gives a better cure). 50°C is my 'go to' temperature if I'm using an oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post
I've used the ' & " notation for minutes and seconds duration...
I've never used them for time duration, but I have for angles (degrees, minutes, seconds of arc).
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 11:12 am   #23
The Philpott
Dekatron

Plus one for Araldite. If in doubt go to 8 hour Araldite rather than 5 minute- a good amount of shuffle time is included. I would be very surprised if it did NOT stick paxolin together well- but an extreme test for it there- i hope reinforcement is possible.

Dave
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 11:25 am   #24
crackle
Rest in Peace

Remove all the components and transformer so as to enable a new strip of paxolin about 40mm wide to be glued over the whole length of the break to reinforce the join. When set hard then drill through the holes and remount the components and transformer.
Slow setting araldite should be fine so long as the flat shiny surfaces of the paxolin are degreased and keyed well.
Mike
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 4:04 pm   #25

Quote:
Talking of Araldite Precision,I have not been able to find it for a long time.
Try your local independant hardware shop, they have everything at prices often cheaper than the "barn stores", my local is St Davids Stores https://www.stdavids-stores.co.uk/ superb, you can even buy a single brass screw made of solid brass too.

Old 2nd Jul 2020, 7:57 pm   #26
poppydog
Banned

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
I have some araldite rapid epoxy here so I think I will use that to glue the board back as best I can, its not going to be a pretty repair as I think there might be the odd bit missing as well but I will try at least to get it functional.

I don’t really want to get in the realms of removing components to try to reinforce the board so I might look into bracing that end of the board somehow due to the weight of those transformers.
Looks are unimportant now anyway due to the state of this after its violent journey to me, the dial glass got it as well.

Regards Poppydog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	210138  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 7:50 pm   #27
poppydog
Banned

This repair has gone quite well considering that during the break the bottom laminate that the solder traces are on appear to have bent slightly, this meant I couldn’t get both sides of the broken board flush with each other at the same time. I have used araldite rapid to glue the larger piece of board that broke and used loctite super glue to glue the 2 small ears that the rubber ring buffers go round and then decided to use solid copper wire to remake the broken solder traces.

The 2 centre tap transformer wires had snapped right on the solder joint meaning they were too short to be soldered back in. I wrapped the 2 remaining stubs around a piece of solid copper wire and soldered them to it then had another piece going from that to the board, I didn’t know how else to do this. I had visions of the 2 short wires breaking off completely if I fiddled too much with them.

Its not the prettiest of repairs, I still have some cleaning up to do on the board around the break and have to tighten up the rivets holding both transformers. I might put a couple of pieces of rubber from the bottom of the board near to the break just to take a bit of the weight from those transformers.

The radio is working very well now apart from a LW switch which is a bit intermittent. Its not been used, I don’t think, for donkeys years and still has all its original components.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

Regards
Poppydog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200709_153502.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	210914   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200709_153701.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	210915   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200709_153800.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	210916   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200709_154003.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	210917  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 10:02 pm   #28
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done!

I think mounting a big transformer like that directly on a phenolic PCB is asking for problems though.

Nick.
Old 14th Jul 2020, 10:20 pm   #29
poppydog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Well done!

I think mounting a big transformer like that directly on a phenolic PCB is asking for problems though.

Nick.
Thanks for the reply Nick, unfortunately there is a fairly big output transformer that has the output pair in heatsinks on the sides of it (see earlier pics) next to the driver transistor. Considering they are for a battery transistor radio, they are no lightweights.

PS. In post 27 it should read-
"I might put a couple of pieces of rubber from the bottom of CASE to the bottom of the board near to the break just to take a bit of the weight from those transformers".

regards poppydog
Closed Thread