UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2016, 8:37 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Dial Cord stringing on BUSH TR82WOOD

Despite taking a photograph and sketching the cord layout on this replica TR82 before removing the cord, which was neccesary in order to extract the PCB from the case, btw., when I attempted to restring the two cords involved, I couldn't get it right! Two cords are used, one drives the larger pulley wheel, the other turns a small drum on which the pointer and dial knob are mounted. The picture shows the tuning set to the HF end. Can anyone work out how the cords should be routed from the photograph, please? Has anyone else had to remove the cords from one of these(The TR82DAB also has the same arrangemnet) I noted that the cord driving the small drum is routed around it 3 turns in an anticlockwise direction, but despite restringing it (as I thought) correctly the small drum still slips on the larger wheel, which also slips!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1183.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	129458  
Old 1st Sep 2016, 10:15 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Dial Cord stringing on BUSH TR82WOOD

There seems to be no tension in the spring?
Old 1st Sep 2016, 12:14 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I took that photo before I removed the dial cords, Sam, so that's how the radio left the factory! Since posting my question I think I've worked out how to re-string the cords so that the tuning works. Now to try it out in practice! (Edit; I've just refitted the dial & pointer, and trieed it out, but the tuning still slips abut 40% of the way up from the LF end of the scale. Unless I see, and open another of these, and note exactly1 how the cords are routed, it seems that it will take me ages to work out how to do it. Ironically I repaired a TR82DAB maybe 18 months or so ago, but cannot find the notes & sketches I made then about the cord routing!

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 1st Sep 2016 at 12:40 pm.
Old 1st Sep 2016, 2:50 pm   #4
Tom_I
Heptode

This subject has cropped up before.

Take a look at this thread where somebody asked about the drive cords on reproduction TR82s back in 2008.

In reply #5 I posted a couple of photos, with descriptions of how the cord runs should go. Hope that helps.
Old 1st Sep 2016, 9:14 pm   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Thanks, Tom. Your post with those photos will be most helpful. I'd tried to restring the 'WOOD' model with the LH pulley fully anticlockwise for one thing!
Old 2nd Sep 2016, 7:47 am   #6
Tom_I
Heptode

With the LH pulley fully clockwise against its end stop, it's easier to maintain a light tension as you string.
Old 6th Sep 2016, 1:25 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

All sorted now, Tom. Your photos & instructions were most helpful. May I add, for those who aren't aware (as I wasn't!), that, when refitting the centre boss to these, it's important to ensure that the groove in the underside of the boss fits over the two 'pips' in the dial centre,otherwise when the screw which holds the boss in place is tightened, the dial will not turn. Incidentally, as I type this I'm listening to Classic FM on the TR82WOOD, and it is producing a pleasing sound. It's also very sensitive on both AM and FM, although it's AM image rejection could be better - it receives Absolute Radio on ca. 285kHz LW with almost as strong a signal as on 1215kHz! I also note that on the makers label, the TR82WOOD is described as an 'Antique Radio!'
Closed Thread