UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2016, 10:17 pm   #21
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: "Television Sound" on vintage radios

you could get UHF tv sound on those 1970's 'world radio' jobs sold in Exchange and Mart..the ones with the flip-up map of the world and a moving red LED for the tuning indicator.
Old 14th Aug 2016, 11:34 pm   #22
Dave757
Heptode

Hi JulieM.

The PB on the set you mentioned was for Police Band (the US one), which
operated in the general area of 40 - 50Mhz.

Incidentally, I remember seeing a post war radio just for TV sound. I was
told that these sets were made for the blind, and I think it had four presettable
push buttons for the channels. If my memory serves me right it was made by Decca.

Kind regards

Dave
Old 15th Aug 2016, 1:50 am   #23
AC/HL
Dekatron

The A28 my parents had featured the television sound. I always wondered why it never produced any sound, now I know why (we were on CH2 of course)
Old 15th Aug 2016, 5:13 am   #24
Panrock
Nonode

I presume none of these "television sound" sets used frame aerials. So this could have been one of the few cases where restricting the throw-out aerial wire to about 5 ft. (quarter-wave) might have given better results. Though I doubt the typical set's aerial input impedance - on a wander plug - was predictable at this frequency.

Steve
Old 15th Aug 2016, 6:29 am   #25
Viewmaster
Hexode

In 1940 Premier Radio (Fleet St), sold a radio chassis that received TV sound and they boosted about its quality.

In 1940 mind you, a year after TV went off the air for 6 years!
Old 15th Aug 2016, 10:20 am   #26
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viewmaster View Post
In 1940 Premier Radio (Fleet St), sold a radio chassis that received TV sound and they boosted about its quality.
That's an interesting historical footnote. Maybe an unexpired 1939 advertising contract?

AFAIK Premier Radio didn't also produce television sets. But for manufacturers who did, what a simple way to promote them! You already have a radio with short wave coverage and a somewhat impure local oscillator. Perhaps add a few components to the front end and a 'television sound' marker to the dial, and your customers will be able to eavesdrop on what they're missing in vision.

Hopefully this would build a desire to buy a television set. In the period concerned (1938-9), prices were coming down, screens were becoming smaller(!), and sales looked like they might be taking off. Only the prospect of that damned war was putting a damper on things...

Later on, I can't help but wonder if the youthful Gerry Wells, during his tours of bomb sites, ever encountered the sad remains of television sets. But that's for another thread...

Steve
Old 19th Aug 2016, 1:05 pm   #27
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

When broadcast TV was first introduced in the days before WWII there were some "Vision-only" TV receivers offered, specifically for use with a separate receiver that had TV-sound.

The Pye 817 being one such example.

Bear in mind the cost of a TV receiver at the time (about the same price as that of a medium-sized new car...). Omitting the entire audio-chain from the TV was a worthwhile cost-saving even in a 'luxury' product like a TV.

There were also some "budget" TV receivers produced immediately after WWII that had the sound-channel but only as far as the detector stage: you were expected to connect the output to the "Gram" input of your radio to use this as an audio power amplifier.
Old 19th Aug 2016, 4:13 pm   #28
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I have a rather up market pre war motorised tuner Ferguson console with tv sound on.Though I have not tried it on that part of the band.
Old 21st Aug 2016, 2:21 pm   #29
colourking
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave757 View Post
The PB on the set you mentioned was for Police Band (the US one), which operated in the general area of 40 - 50Mhz.
On multiband radios I have seen 'PB' (combined with AIR) was high VHF up to maybe 176MHz (going up to the start of TV Band III or usually a bit above)

here is one example:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/audioso...o_tk_322f.html

They could cover a bit into Band III TV, one I had (from the 1990s) just about went far up enough to hear RTE1 TV sound here in the south of Ireland on 181.25 (before ASO in 2012).
Strong Band III TV signals could also breakthrough on frequencies 21.4 MHz lower , so images of sufficiently strong Band III signals up to nearly 200 MHz could appear.

Demodulation is actually Wide-FM (as for 87.5-108 MHz) in this band , on these low cost receivers the local oscillator would never be stable at VHF for Narrow-Band FM or AM, the price that is paid for this is mainly (1) no selectivity of close NBFM communications channels (2) volume has to be turned up on the NBFM signals (compared to FM Band II broadcast)

The FM demodulation will also (crudely) receive AM signals (such as in Airband) by tuning to the "edge of the carrier".

Last edited by colourking; 21st Aug 2016 at 2:39 pm.
Old 21st Aug 2016, 5:20 pm   #30
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Interesting how that for most of the production life for valved CRT TVs, the sound was always the poor relation. Often after the detector there was just one single output valve. If you were lucky you might have got a two-stage ECL80. Most speakers were small elliptics or circular ones. Some Consoles (especially those with the full length folding doors) might have boasted an 8" driver. Edward
Old 21st Aug 2016, 7:15 pm   #31
emeritus
Dekatron

In a clear-out today I found the receipts for the cheap Hong Kong AM/FM transistors that picked up UHF TV sound: they were "Shira AM/FM", cost £4/16/4d in Jan 1970, from the Plessey Staff Sales shop. Two tone plastic case, white/red or blue/red. Mine was disposed of long ago.
Old 21st Aug 2016, 7:44 pm   #32
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember those "Shira" radios from the late-60s and early-70s. There was also a version - styled as a walkie-talkie in camo-green plastic - that as well as doing MW/FM broadcasts airband and VHF-TV sound also tuned the US CB channels around 27MHz.
Mine died when the PP3 battery died the death and filled the insides of the radio with electronics-destroying goo.
Closed Thread