UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2006, 9:27 pm   #1
Danny
Heptode

Default Yet another good day out

Oh well got home at 830 with my purchasses and a lighter van! believe me i had a lot of stuff to get rid of and refilled my stall throughout the day!.
Didnt spend much sadly but came home with three bargains and yet two more tellys to find a space for. some items were cheap again yet others made good money at the auction. but considering the numbers hew stayed to the end i think the auctioneer done vary vary well thanks all
Danny
Old 1st Oct 2006, 9:59 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Yet another good day out

Yes, Quite a good day after an unpromising start, Took me 3 hours to get there after they shut that wretched M25 again . Just made it by opening time, Sold all the bulky woodies . I think I made John H-K Shorts day when I supplied a 78 to replace one of his favourites that got broken a couple of weeks previously . Sorted Howard out with a spare Stella, By the time I got to the bring and buy stall it was deserted . Wonderful display of vintage sound equipment, That Decola sounded great, Only bought one item, A red Hacker RP30 for £5. Managed to avoid holdups on the way home by keeping off the motorways... . .

Regards, Mick.
Old 1st Oct 2006, 10:43 pm   #3
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hmm, well, managed to buy another Pye 806........

And met lots of people, swapped loads of odd bits, and delivered others - didnt stay for the auction - too much stuff in the car already!

A special thanks to Jeffrey for the large box of stuff my Son purchased from the bring and buy - I now have no room in the shack at all! - There was a nice roll of magnesium tape in a tin though, so have had some fun with that this afternoon!

Managed to find two escutcheons for my TCG316 as well, so not a bad mornings work really!

Congrats to all who organsied it!

Cheers
Sean
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 12:30 am   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I did jolly well today I acquired some of the best radios ever including a really nice B&O Beolit 600, a very good Pye P123BQ, a Roberts R500, a restored Bush VHF80 and a tidy VHF81, a near mint Roberts R900, a near mint early 1960s Toshiba MW/LW/SW set, a 1964 Selga, a Sinclair tuner, a nice Stella ST110U (many thanks Mickjjo for that and the service manuals), and another Decca TP22 to restore, but the best of all was the one below, a very rare 1961 Spidola in a brightly coloured case in near mint condition. That lot should keep me busy for a while And I treated myself to a nicely restored and recalibrated Avo Mk 8.

It was really good to see many friendly faces from the forum again

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VEFSpidola.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	5782  
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 8:18 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Oh dear - missed so many people AGAIN! Did not spot mickjjo, Danny or H-K s/c John. Oh well - next time! We will really have to try for a definite "time and place" meeting of forum folk!
We did not stay for the auction, either, as I had a carful and a restoration pileful at home.
The talk plus slideshow by Norman and assisted by Jeffrey was excellent - sadly my back did not like the chairs, so I had to start moving again before the finish. It was good to see mentions of the unsung heroes Alan Dower Blumlein and ELC White, and not too much mention of the two salesmen Marconi and Baird!
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 11:43 am   #6
newlite4
Octode

Yes, so good to see everyone again, I was recovering from a bad cold so I hope that I didn't seem too un-communicative . It was a perfect day, cut short by the flash-flood at five o'clock (I had never seen pavements running 6" deep like that before ).
I was able to sell off some surplus items and buy some new radios in the auction. All-in-all, a grand day out, next stop : Wooton Bassett.
Neil
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 12:04 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I went witha full car and came home with a fairly empty one.
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 12:21 pm   #8
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

I'm glad you all had a good time. I really must make the trek down from Cumbria. I had to work yesterday though, and it is a long way to come down for the day.

Anyway I don't have room for anything else - at the moment.

Cheers,
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 12:31 pm   #9
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
I went witha full car and came home with a fairly empty one.
My wife's dream?

Best Regards

John
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 1:31 pm   #10
igranic
Rest in Peace

Whilst not forgetting all the hard work by everyone who helped make the day such a success, I would like to express my grateful thanks to Norman Green for the excellent and superbly researched and illustrated talk, and especial thanks to Jeffrey Borinsky for all the hard work in organisation and set-up.

Although I am not known as a TV enthusiast, I enjoyed the talk immensely and it was good to see the lecture room filled, and with a really attentive and appreciative audience.
IMHO this is exactly the type of event that is needed to inform the members (new and old), help preserve the history, and broaden the outlook of the society as a whole.

I sincerely hope that the DVD idea becomes a reality.

Keep up the good work Jeffrey.

Edward
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 2:17 pm   #11
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Edward, thanks for your support. I can assure you that my work was but a tiny fraction of Norman's.

Norman's talk was originally given to the IEE last year (hence a few slides that said 2005) and what we saw was a slightly edited version. I haven't actually said this to Norman yet but I feel that his talk was significantly improved by being cut from the original which was well over 90 minutes.

I hope we are forgiven for running rather over the normal hour which also meant that it wasn't possible to have a Q & A session. We started at 1150 rather than the usual 1200 because I knew we would overrun but I thought we would be finished by about 1305. Understandably a few people were getting a bit itchy as we ran past the normal end time of 1300.

Next time I must remember to make the standard announcement about mobile phones Not all speakers have the professionalism to take that in their stride.
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 5:48 pm   #12
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

I went with a nearly empty car and came back as usual with a full one, a nice day out on the whole, I left before the auction started and had a good drive home with no holdups
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 6:21 pm   #13
sparkie
Retired Dormant Member

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Terry Martini for the fantastic display on the history of recorded sound - some of the stuff on display was amazing in the quality of sound it reproduced. And also to Mike Barker and Russell Atkinson for breaking their collective backs to hump a restored Decca Decola into the hall, along with some beautiful acoustic sound machines. The sound quality from the Decola REALLY caused a lot of members to stop and stare in wonderment at what could be achieved in 1947 from 78 records......Steve
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 7:41 pm   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I would just like to say how much I enjoyed the Harpenden meet. The film/slide show and lecture given by Norman was nothing short of rivetting!
Through some sort of divine intervention I managed to obtain a replacement, superb copy of ARTIE SHAWS 'Deep Purple'. I managed to smash my rather worn copy two weeks before and it was one of my favourites. It sounded great on Milke's Decola.
Great to meet so many of you all. Regards John.
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 7:52 pm   #15
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Through some sort of divine intervention I managed to obtain a replacement, superb copy of ARTIE SHAWS 'Deep Purple'. I managed to smash my rather worn copy two weeks before and it was one of my favourites.
Good job I took that boxful of records, and that one was in it!....... .

Regards, Mick.
Old 2nd Oct 2006, 11:00 pm   #16
slidertogrid
Octode

HI! Another great day had by all! Thanks to everyone that organised it
I went with an empy car and returned with a full one! Bargains include an Ultra FM only set in its original box £10! quite a few sets from the auction including an almost mint Pye Black box for £20 .
I had a look at the Spidola radio , it seemed to have a turret tuner, wondefull! Howard, does it work?
ps I was the Nutter loading the car in the rainstorm
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 1:54 pm   #17
howard
Nonode

Hello slidertogrid,

Yes it does work Perfect in fact ! It is immaculate inside, I don't think this set has had a lot of use over the past 45 years.

This is one very very rare radio Look around all the many Russian and Baltic radio websites and you won't find a 1961 Spidola in this colour.

Howard
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 2:53 pm   #18
sparkie
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I would just like to say how much I enjoyed the Harpenden meet. The film/slide show and lecture given by Norman was nothing short of rivetting!
Through some sort of divine intervention I managed to obtain a replacement, superb copy of ARTIE SHAWS 'Deep Purple'. I managed to smash my rather worn copy two weeks before and it was one of my favourites. It sounded great on Milke's Decola.
Great to meet so many of you all. Regards John.
Wow!! That's the first time I've ever been called divine intervention.... Steve
Closed Thread