UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2019, 4:33 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Fitting a external input socket !

How hard can it be ? are you sitting down !. first of all the chassis on this Zenith didn't have a gram position on the wave change switch ,so I needed to arrange something to switch the input ,this problem was solved when I found a 3.5 mm jack socket with a two pole two way switch .The other switch was used to switch a relay disconnecting the heaters on the rf section ,this caused another problem ,because this chassis derives a neg bias voltage from the HT using a series of resistors in the neg of the reservoir capacitor by disconnecting the three valves I reduced the HT current so therefore reducing the neg voltage , upsetting the biasing on the two audio valves.
The problem was solved by using another relay to switch a loading resistor on the HT line when in ext input mode , this turned out to be 25k ohm 7 watt. this brought things back to normal , except , the switches on the 3.5mm socket I guess were designed to switch low level audio ,not 250ma that the two relays required , a nice npn power transistor was fitted ,now the switching current was less than 1ma . yes a diode was fitted across the coils of the relays.
Oh forget to say the output of my Pure dab radio with headphone out only required boosting ,this was done using a mono ic pre amp found on Ebay very cheep , of course this needed it's own power supply ,which I built , the supply for the relays was derived from a spare 6.3v winding on the newly fitted mains tx . Phew . I think that is it . I have just got to fit the chassis back in the newly refurbished cabinet . More on the restoration of the chassis to follow . Mick.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 5:03 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Fitting a external input socket !

Hmmm,

Why not just use one contact on the socket to disconnect the detector audio from the volume control and the other to connect the audio input to it?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Jun 2019, 7:04 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Fitting a external input socket !

Now that would be to simple Chris , the main thing was I wanted to disconnect the rf section because I am sure this radio will be mostly used to play an I pod etc .Mick.
Closed Thread