UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2019, 9:35 pm   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default A trio of Hacker Democrats

The Democrat RP34 is an AM only radio dating from around 1966 and uses two PP9 batteries to provide an 18 volt supply. All three radios needed attention to get them to work properly again.

Number 1. Appeared to work but clicked and went off at the slightest tap anywhere on the chassis. Of course this turned out to be the usual AF117 transistor troubles and replacing T2 on the I.F. panel restored normal operation. I used a germanium AF178 as I recently bought some for a bargain price from an Ebay seller based in Europe. They also look nice in a vintage radio.

Number 2. No sound although the audio amp circuit was working. This time all three AF117s on the I.F. panel had shorts between electrodes. The mixer oscillator transistor, which is on the wavechange switch panel, was OK.

Number 3. I had repaired this one a few months earlier, replacing T3 and T4 on the I.F. panel with silicone BC557s (all I had at the time) and had been happy with the overall performance. However compared to the other two Democrats the RF sensitivity was a little down and there was an unwanted "interstation mute" effect when tuning. Weak stations had distorted sound. Replacing T3 with an AF178 brought things back to normal. The radio was quite happy with a BC557 for T4 though.

People have their own ideas on how to deal with the AF117 transistor problem and there are many posts about this on the Forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker Democrats.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	182399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker Democrat I.F. board.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	182400  

Last edited by martin.m; 3rd May 2019 at 9:50 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 4th May 2019, 6:33 pm   #2
tim.norris
Hexode

Default Re: A trio of Hacker Democrats

Well done ,good job, great to see 3 more Hackers that have been saved , enjoy , regards, Tim
Old 4th May 2019, 10:56 pm   #3
martin.m
Hexode

Thank you Tim.
Old 6th May 2019, 7:52 am   #4
Kentode
Octode

Good job Martin, l do like the green one especially. I can't tell if the handles are missing the vinyl strip but I replaced it with a piece of thin leather on a black Hacker l repaired for a friend. That one also had tin whiskers.

They have a lovely tone and are reassuringly weighty.

BVWS member

Last edited by Kentode; 6th May 2019 at 7:55 am. Reason: Spilling.
Old 6th May 2019, 7:53 pm   #5
martin.m
Hexode

Thank you Ken. I'm not an expert on Hackers but some Democrat handles have a ribbed finish and no vinyl strip. Yes, the green one looks smart and I would like a blue one as well but the ones I have seen for sale on the Internet look a little tatty. These radios are great little performers and will receive AM stations that my 50s woodies struggle with.
Closed Thread