UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2016, 5:30 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Standard Converter

Hi folks

Where can I obtain a 405 line standards converter, or is it possible to make one. On the other hand could I use a video tape recorder /player that was designed for 405 line sets.

Regards

Ken
Old 4th May 2016, 5:57 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: standard converter

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/SC_images.html
Old 4th May 2016, 5:57 pm   #3
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Ken.

Probably the best route to take on this would be to purchase the Aurora standards converter. Many on this forum will no doubt vouch for this. I personally don't own one but by all accounts they can't be faulted.

I actually built my standards converter from the German Radio Darius design. It's essentially an analogue converter which has a fairly large component count and works very well. It won't be cheap to build. Some of the HCT and LS logic devices may be hard to find now not to mention the CCD delay line ICs. I also built the CH1 VHF modulator from Darius's design which is nice and stable even though it's not crystal controlled.
There are other options available and I'm sure others will give their views on the subject. Have a read through this section https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...splay.php?f=95

Regards
Symon

EDIT: Nuvistor beat me to it.

Last edited by Philips210; 4th May 2016 at 5:58 pm. Reason: Addition of text
Old 4th May 2016, 6:08 pm   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

The Aurora is an excellent piece of kit, I did have a dinosaur converter on loan before I purchased mine, but the Aurora is far better all round and a very small and neat device.

Having a built in testcard and tone is a real bonus, they are not cheap, but worth every penny!

Mark
Old 4th May 2016, 6:15 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Another vote for the Aurora! As has been said, they are not cheap, but they are invaluable little gadgets. Probably the best thing that ever happened to vintage TV is the Aurora!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 4th May 2016, 6:32 pm   #6
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Good evening,
I have an AURORA standards converter as well. Outputs test card C and 900Hz audio tone when no video input. Easy to input 625 line video and audio with a SCART splitter box (or direct depending on programme device source)

Nice and small as well. I got mine via Crowthorne tubes on Ebay.

You have to supply your own PSU which you can get from Maplin

A very useful feature is the hexadecimal rotary switch to instantly change sound and vision frequencies. I think most band of the I and III channel frequencies are covered which is ideal if you have a fixed tuned set.
I have a Domino which is very good but is fixed on band I channel 1.

Christopher Capener
Old 6th May 2016, 10:19 am   #7
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Re: Standard Converter

Many thanks for the input everyone, I have contacted crothorne tubes so now out of a muddle.

Regards

Ken
Closed Thread