UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2021, 10:53 am   #1
David S
Triode

Question Ever Ready Sky Monarch AM.

Hi all.
I'm very new to this forum, so hello, and also new to Valve stuff, so help! but I have dabbled in VERY basic electronics for some time.
I recently acquired a Monarch AM at an auction house and would love to know more about it and try to see if it works.
The only reason I bought it was that the auctioneer said it was rare and nobody was bidding so I got it for £2.
My initial thought was that, if nothing else, I could up-scale the case with blue-tooth guts, but I thought I would check out the auctioneers claim first.
My only connection to it is that it seems to be pretty much the same age as me!
Unlike me it unfortunately has suffered from some woodworm damage but it's not too serious and has been treated.
Any help, advice or suggestions would be welcome.
Maybe there's one of you experts close to where I live in Lichfield or Welshpool.
I expect you all know what one looks like but I've added a few pics.
Thanks in advance...Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch front.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	232428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch back.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	232429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch inside.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	232430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch serial.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	232431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch w.w.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	232432  

Old 23rd Apr 2021, 11:29 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Ever Ready Sky Monarch AM.

You'll find service information for you radio here:-

https://www.service-data.com/section...sky-monarch-am

Lots of useful information on repairing radios here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ion/index.html

If you want someone to repair the radio for you please post in this section:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 11:37 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Not a common set, but not that rare.

You do know that it's powered from high voltage batteries and not the mains? The batteries for it have not been made for a long time, so you have to make your own up from banks of low voltage ones.

Your first job is to make sure the woodworm is dead before it infests your house and furniture. There have been plenty of threads about this already, so some searching should turn up discussions on the different procedures.

Have a read through the 'sticky' threads at the beginnings of the forum sections. There's a lot of stuff in them, written out in less of a hurry than is usual for replies to individual questions, so they're more thorough and easier going than you'd get in response to a query. This'll get you up the learning curve a bit, and you can then ask better targetted questions.

David
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 12:28 pm   #4
David S
Triode

Thanks for the advice so far.:

I'm used to dealing with wood-worm problems... my house in Wales dates back to 1583 so I'm constantly on the lookout for the little beasties with my tiny little hammer
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 3:35 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

£2!!!

You got a bargain!

That said, it's not the easiest of radios to work on. It was released mid 1950's, Ever Ready's flagship model (supplanted by an FM version the next year), made for the dwindling number of houses without mains electricity.

It does have input for an audio source, so you can easily play a CD or MP3 player through it.

By a curious co-incidence, I did a fair bit of work on one last year, which has just been published in the British Vintage Wireless Society quarterly Bulletin.
Old 24th Apr 2021, 12:52 pm   #6
David S
Triode

I've been doing some reading and I feel happy to try booting it up.
One item I read suggested using only 9 9v batteries not 10 because new ones often push 10v.
Do you all concur?
Also, one main concern seems to be burning out the heaters in the valves. Is there a simple way of putting less than 1.5v in and 'warming them up gently'? perhaps a dropper resistor, or, not exactly flat, but would a used battery be safer?
Are re-chargeable batteries suitable?
Also, if it works hard wired, is there a supply of the off-set 4 pin battery sockets anywhere?

Thanks for your help.
Dave
Old 24th Apr 2021, 1:00 pm   #7
Station X

Try measuring the voltage of nine 9V batteries in series and adjust the number of batteries if necessary. Be aware that the voltage may drop on load.

Filaments burn out because people apply 90V HT or even mains voltage to them in error. They don't like it up 'em! Apply the 1.5V for the filaments first. If the filaments light up it's safe to apply 90V to the appropriate terminals.

You can use rechargeables, but sometimes they have a lower voltage than non-rechargeables.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Apr 2021, 1:05 pm   #8
Cobaltblue

Please bear in in mind the filaments on these are very difficult to see you will need to darken the room and look carefully.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 24th Apr 2021, 1:05 pm   #9
kalee20
Dekatron

It's DEFINITELY worth getting three diodes, type 1N4003 or so, connecting them in series, across the filament supply. These diodes take no current till the voltage reaches 0.6V, above which they take a lot... So with three, the filament supply is clamped to 1.8V if you make a slip with a test probe.

Warming gently though is not necessary. A 'D' cell is fine. Really, the optimum voltage is 1.4V. Below 1.1V they'll hardly work; 1.5V for long periods does slightly shorten their life.

If you send me your email address by PM, I'll send you a résumé of what I had to replace in the Monarch I had last year.
Old 24th Apr 2021, 1:22 pm   #10
David S
Triode

All fantastically helpful...thank you.
I may not get time to work on it this week but I'll keep you informed as to how it goes.
Dave.
Closed Thread