UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2019, 9:32 pm   #1
CHRIS_F
Tetrode

Default Clutch mechanism parts

Hi guys, I was made up to fix my Hitachi Boom Box successfully all was fine until I heard something ping off while I pressed FF I’m not familiar with mechanism terms but I’ll guess it’s the clutch as there’s a felt pad underneath to allow it to slip, anyway whatever it is it’s a little plastic cap that won’t stay on I’m going to try and glue it on like I did with the pause mech one that fell off also, but are replacements available anywhere? I’m guessing not really but worth asking.
Thanks,
Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC2FCC22-9837-4E28-B55A-1B7446EA233D.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	190204   Click image for larger version

Name:	9A1FA9F2-9553-4F70-A8F1-2486961B0C07.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	190205  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 4:44 am   #2
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Re: Clutch mechanism parts

Hi!

The chances of getting the individual bits on their own are vanishingly small these days, but you might get another deck assembly cheap – take a picture of the control keys on your 'fone and start looking round your local car–boot sales & charity–shops, etc., etc!

If you find one that's got the same layout and size of control keys, the chances are it may be close enough in design to enable you to cannabalise it for spares!

Have a really good look round where you was working on it, you might be in luck and find the original bits didn't fly away as far as you might have thought!

Chris Williams
Old 16th Sep 2019, 12:15 pm   #3
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi normaly this is held on with a small c clip that fits on to a grove in the main metal shaft . Check if there is a grove around the top of the metal shaft (the shaft the black cog fits on to) if so this is how its held on these are quite oftern like a small plastic washer with a cut in them
this clips over and into this grove to hold clutch together Mick
Old 21st Sep 2019, 3:29 pm   #4
CHRIS_F
Tetrode

Thanks Guys, this clutch thing doesn’t have a c clip it’s just a push on fit, I see why they fail a lot in Spectrum computers and on this deck too, both pause mechanisms and the clutch’s on both decks are the same the plastic has a small crack in it making it loose, in the pause mechanism once it pops off the little plastic part rubs on the capstan and makes a noise and slows the deck a bit, on the clutch it just pops off and the belt falls off. The good news is that having found the plastic bit and spring, a little bit of Mrs F’s nail glue seems to hold it nicely, the nail glue seems to be the same as Super Glue, I’m happy to report my Boom Box is working 100% I had some belts that I bought in a random pack a while back, all I need to do now is protect the exposed copper traces on the PCB and give it a good clean.
Old 27th Sep 2019, 10:54 am   #5
CHRIS_F
Tetrode

Hi All,

I seem to find this similar problem on most decks I’ve bought and tried to replace belts, it seems to be a common fault on both pause mechanisms and clutch wheels the plastic part that holds the spring down to apply pressure always cracks you can see the cracks on the photo, and when pushed on usually come flying off again as they won’t hold, in the case of the pause mechanism the plastic bit pops off and rubs against the capstan fly wheel making a scraping sound. what do you guys usually do? so far I’ve just used a dab of super glue to keep them on, I don’t think finding another deck for donor parts is a viable option as they will have most likely spilt as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D5E320E1-7936-4AEA-AFEB-6FE7FFD8A1C2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	190878  
Closed Thread