UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 26th Nov 2023, 5:26 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Trend 105 Serial Data Tester

I just posted in "Test Gear" looking for instructions for this tester. Maybe someone here might know something about it.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...81#post1601781

thanks
-Jeremy
Old 26th Nov 2023, 6:08 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Trend 105 Serial Data Tester

I have a Trend 105, and I think I have the manual for it somewhere. I can try to dig it out but it will be pain to scan. But if you get no other help I'll see what I can do.

The main oddity is the connectors. You'll notice a pair of DB25s with 26 pin 2-row headers alongside them. If you just use the DB25s, you get a line monitor. To simulate a modem (DCE) you use a jumper cable to link the unit's DTE connctor to the header alongside it. Similarly to simulate a terminal (DTE) you use a jumper cable to link th unts DCE connector to the header alongside that on. These jumpers are short lengths of ribbon cable with the D25 and header sockets crimped on.

If you fit both jumpers and power up it does a self-test I think.
TonyDuell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2023, 8:51 pm   #3
Pamphonica
Nonode

Hi Tony,
that's hugely helpful. I was wondering how the DTE and DCE simulation could be done.
The device says something like "calibrating system" briefly on power-on then goes to "monitoring".
It didn't come with any cables but those will be easy to crimp up now with IDCs I know what it needs. I assume that it just goes pin1-pin1 and pin 26 on the header is ignored.
May be quite useful after all. It was only £5, and came in a case, but with the main leather flap missing. Apart from being dirty (now cleaned up), it looks in good shape.
The batteries should turn up next week and I'll make up a new pack for it. I invested in one of those chinese battery pack metal strap welders a while back and it has been invaluable. I have made up dozens of packs for various devices, maninly HP calculators, and HP portable disk drives and printers.

If anyone does have a link to a usable instruction manual, please let me know. There is a Trend 105 currently on offer online but with manual. So at least I know what the front cover looks like!

-Jeremy
Old 27th Nov 2023, 11:38 am   #4
Pamphonica
Nonode

Chris has found the basic operating instructions on EEVBlog, and posted the file on my other post in Vintage Testgear. That thread can now be closed and we can continue here.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...42&postcount=2
That, along with Tony's essential hint on making up a pair of link cables has got me going. I am now merrily sending QBF (Quick Brown Fox) messages in loopback mode.
Now to make up that battery pack. I may rarely use this equipment but it still deserves to be back in working order.
-Jeremy
Old 27th Nov 2023, 2:01 pm   #5
Pamphonica
Nonode

Good progess.
New battery pack made up, shrink-wrapped and installed. It even needed a new battery cable made up, since the old battery had leached its acid up inside the existing stranded wires. No chance of re-soldering those blackened remnants!
I now have a nicely working tester, that can earn its keep whenever I have serial pen plotters to feed, and no idea if the cable is wired correctly. It has just been running again under battery power for the first time in a long while.
I might make up a set of small jumper wires with 1mm pins on the end (same as the D25 connectors) to stay with it.
And thanks to Chris I now have a set of basic instructions to go with it.
If Tony D finds anything more useful in his maintenance manual, that will be added to the pack.
-Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685[1].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	288865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0688[1].jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	288866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690[1].jpg