UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2020, 11:38 pm   #1
Backtoreality
Hexode

Default Fidelity RAD27

As a retirement joke one of my colleagues gave me this radio which she'd bought specially from a car boot sale. Thinking of Fidelity as a cheap and cheerful brand from the '70s it went into the back of the garage.
Anyway under lock down I thought I'd have a go at it so I could tell her I'd sorted it.......hopefully!
On applying power there were a few stations on the medium wave but nothing at all on the other wavebands which are long, short and marine band.The most obvious problem was the long wave selection switch had a broken shank and the 'chromed' button was missing. Trying the other switches showed serious "damping" of all the switch mechanisms so I took a load of photos and proceeded to dismantle it. Three screws held the back in place and four more screws allowed me to take the pcb from the case, after unsoldering the aerial connection. I also took another 3 screws out at the same time which was a mistake as they held the tuning dial onto the pcb! Boy is that spring on the tuning pulley strong! I replaced the screws quickly so I didn't upset the tuning cord.
I then sprayed the switches very liberally with Servisol and they appeared to loosen off significantly so I removed the damaged switch.
An appeal on the forum for an ALPS switch, and or button, got me a selection of switches a few days later, kindly supplied by G6ONEDave, one of which looked spot on.
By the time these arrived the whole switch bank was nearly solid again so I bit the bullet and removed all of the switches for cleaning.
Dave also gave me some excellent instructions for dismantling ALPS switches, so that was the next step. Washing the components of each switch with washing up liquid and a brush got rid of the horrible brown goo causing the problems, and the switches were reassembled.
Unfortunately none of the switches Dave had given me were compatible so I drilled a 1mm hole in the plastic shank of the broken switch and moulded a reinforced plastic extension with "SupaFix". The switches were then replaced on the PCB and the radio reassembled (using the photos) to connect all of the wires back on to the switch bank correctly.
I then put it all back together and cleaned the exterior of the case and polished the brushed aluminium with metal polish. Sadly there are a few scratches and dings in the aluminium which are still visible and I realised there is a narrow strip of aluminium missing from the bottom of the front panel. I replaced the PP9 battery and the radio came back to life on all bands with a sensitivity which amazed me. Stations on long, medium and short came through loud and clear and there was even one station on the marine band. None of the other components were disturbed but most if not all appear to be Philips, loads of Lockfit tranistors, Mullard capacitors etc. All still working well. It just goes to show the problems mucky switches can cause.
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	206980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	206981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	206982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken switch.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	206983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reassembled.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	206984  

Old 27th May 2020, 11:42 pm   #2
Backtoreality
Hexode

Default Re: Fidelity RAD27

More photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuning main pulley.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	206985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuning cord _ spindle.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	206986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch removed.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	206987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switchbank Close.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	206988  
Old 28th May 2020, 12:10 am   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

I always thought fidelity transistor radios gave a decent account of themselves saying they were not exactly aimed at the hacker or grundig buyer.

I had one as a child from an auction, with a sort of red quilted vinyl finish, then my older cousin bought one brand new in simulated woodgrain, which made me burn with jealousy!
Old 28th May 2020, 9:01 am   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Years ago I had a Fidelity RAD can not remember the number to repair before the internet. I Wrote off to Fidelity for the part, possibly a special speaker, I remember commenting how quick and easy the set was to dismantle for servicing. Maybe a screw in the back and maybe two for the PCB.

John.

Edit, I think it was a RAD11 looking at service sheet. Uses 10r speaker, which unclips from PCB.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 28th May 2020 at 9:16 am.
Old 29th May 2020, 5:11 pm   #5
G6ONEDave
Octode

Sorry to hear that the supplied switches turned out not to be correct after all. Glad you got the radio working again though. Well done
Old 30th May 2020, 12:19 pm   #6
Backtoreality
Hexode

Thanks Dave, The internal construction is completely different so unfortunately I couldn't just swap the shaft over. I'll PM you.
David
Closed Thread