UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2020, 4:32 pm   #1
saddlestone-man
Hexode

Default Philips chassis support frame

Hello All

I'm restoring a Philips 581A radio and trying to work on the underside of the chassis out of the cabinet is pretty well impossible. Because of how the top of the chassis is arranged, the normal use of a few blocks of wood just doesn't work.

The radio has a bottom inspection panel so that for most purposes you can work on the chassis without removing it from the cabinet, but I believe Philips used to supply their dealers with support frames so the chassis could be turned over safely. Has anyone ever seen one of these, or have any photos or adverts?

The attached photo shows the chassis with the overhead frame and pulleys for the dial pointer, which makes balancing the chassis upside down impossible.

best regards ... Stef
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips 581A top chassis.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	206644  
Old 24th May 2020, 5:51 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips chassis support frame

That chassis is very clean ,looks like new ,I am sure you could make a wooden frame to do the job ,a bit of lateral thinking needed. Mick.
Old 24th May 2020, 8:07 pm   #3
saddlestone-man
Hexode

Default Re: Philips chassis support frame

Many thanks Mick, yes the chassis is in very good condition.

I'm managing OK to improvise, I was interested in what Philips provided more from an historical perspective.

best regards ... Stef
Closed Thread