UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2021, 8:11 am   #121
Timvintage
Pentode

Default Re: Interesting things on old tape reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB44 View Post
During the 1960's and early 70's I recorded all the news broadcasts on the Apollo space missions including Apollo 11 when Neil Armstrong spoke those historic words when he first stepped off the lander on to the moons surface. Having just restored my Truvox to full working order again I played the tape for the first time since it was recorded in 1969 and it was wonderful to hear the voices of James Burke and Patrick Moore as they wait to hear what was happening. Listening to the landing sequence and Armstrong taking that first step was no less tense that the day I first heard it all those years ago!
Yes I’ve also come across reels including all the news broadcasts for Apollo 12 and 13.
Old 6th Feb 2021, 10:12 am   #122
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timvintage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB44 View Post
During the 1960's and early 70's I recorded all the news broadcasts on the Apollo space missions including Apollo 11 when Neil Armstrong spoke those historic words when he first stepped off the lander on to the moons surface. Having just restored my Truvox to full working order again I played the tape for the first time since it was recorded in 1969 and it was wonderful to hear the voices of James Burke and Patrick Moore as they wait to hear what was happening. Listening to the landing sequence and Armstrong taking that first step was no less tense that the day I first heard it all those years ago!
Yes I’ve also come across reels including all the news broadcasts for Apollo 12 and 13.
I know it’s audio only obviously, but I believe the BBC has either lost or over recorded an awful lot of their original Apollo coverage. I wonder if what you have is of historical importance, could you contact the BBC to ask their opinion?

Edited to add, or this organisation, although mainly dealing in tv recordings would be most likely to give you some advice/contacts.

https://www.tvbrain.info/
Old 6th Feb 2021, 11:03 am   #123
BSABiker
Diode

Hi All,

I too, kept numerous recordings I made of my school concerts and shows. I started out in 1974 using Philips N4510 stereo tape deck. I then transferred the recordings to cassette for the pupils. In early 1980 I bought a Tandberg TD20a half track semi professional deck and continued audio recordings until about 1990, when the school invested in a Panasonic VHS camera. Since retiring in 2006 I managed to transfer all the original 7.5 inch and 10.75 inch tapes to CD using the Audacity program. I've just passed both machines on to members of this forum as well as boxes of tapes. During the early 1980's one of our parents, who worked for the BBC, invited a group f pupils involved in a school show to the then Pebble Mill Studios. There we were able to use the "Archer's Studio" to record some sound effects for the play. Happy Days.
Wayne
Old 6th Feb 2021, 11:59 am   #124
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

At that time, the parts of the event deemed to be significant would have been archived rather than great stretches of coverage. Note, for instance, that the BBC coverage of the Apollo 13 splashdown has appeared on YouTube - all thirteen minutes of it, when I remember it going on for hours. It is fashionable now to knock the BBC for not keeping everything, but the plain fact is that prior to the availability of mass digital storage this would have been both impractical and impossible to justify in terms of the expense involved.

It follows from this that "found recordings" probably will contain material not preserved elsewhere. Some time ago, I acquired a collection which has a tape labelled "John Glenn's flight" - haven't played it yet, but it may have maerial not otherwise available.
Old 6th Feb 2021, 12:40 pm   #125
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

My Wedding in 1972 was recorded on a Philips EL3402 1" VTR - B&W of course.
There's nothing I can find to play this back on, if only to dub it to DVD. I've searched for years.....
Old 6th Feb 2021, 8:30 pm   #126
TerryB44
Pentode

Just seen a tape recording of Apollo 10 & 11 on Ebay starting at £55!
Closed Thread