UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2008, 1:37 pm   #1
peter.sables
Rest in Peace

Default The Italian RC2

Hi.

Just finished my copy of the RC2. The information for this set was hard to come by. Anyway, I did have a photo and that the set is believed to be basicaly a Parra set. The valves are RV5 So with that I scaled up from the photo. Going on that the XLs socket is 20mm I started. Anyway here it is. Runs 5 watts.

Pete G4MRU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Italian RC2A.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	16925  
Old 6th May 2008, 10:45 am   #2
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: The Italian RC2

I am not familiar with these type of sets, but have seen similar in 'Practical Wireless' on the Ham radio pages. I did have a pair of headphones like the ones in the picture, I 'rescued' them from the back of a school cupboard, it took a week of planning and the help of a wooden ruler to reach them and a dufflebag to smuggle them away. Made excellent crystal set headphones.
Well done on making this set.

G
Old 6th May 2008, 10:32 pm   #3
peter.sables
Rest in Peace

Default Re: The Italian RC2

hi.

Interesting that. This set is a (I think) a good copy. Its an Italian spy radio of about 1941. I'm told it is based on a captured Para set . But apart from the tuning bulbs and the coils used no real match. Getting the dimensions was a real pain. As the chap who had one would just not pass anything on.
He would only send me a photo so I had to scale up from that. He did tell me the valves were RV5 though..

Pete
Old 7th May 2008, 5:48 pm   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: The Italian RC2

Could be because it was a captured spy set he didn't want to give anything away, but after all this time I don't think it would have been military secrets. the article in PW is about wartime use of radio but only up to the 1939 outbreak of the second world war. A similar looking case is a Johnson and Philips shortwave tuner. I don't know what the RV5 valves are.

G
Old 8th May 2008, 10:35 pm   #5
peter.sables
Rest in Peace

Default Re: The Italian RC2

had to take a look. What a nice radio..

Well he was very shifty.. The valves are 5RV, much the same as the 6SN7 but with a cap. and in the TX it used the 6F6.. The set has worked out OK. Runs on 6v DC or 230v AC. Think it was the power supply that was the real stickler. He just would not tell me anything about it. I could see two knobs on it that I just could not place, so I asked him with a copy of the pic. Putting pointers on it. But he would only send me another pic. of the inside. I sorted it from that. Think he just did not like someone making a copy..

Not had a contact on it yet but will in time..

Pete GRMRU
Closed Thread