UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2015, 6:59 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default BCMR radio

Just riding the VHF waves I came across BCMR on 89.7Mhz. Quite different from other stations in that it's commercial free, there are no presenters, and the playlist is totally automated. Now that may sound 'sterile' but in fact it's (for me) a breath of fresh air to listen to a radio show that is not full of adverts and as is the case all too often, punctuated by an irksome fool behind the decks and the mic. They claim to play the best of music from the 50s to the 90s and "now" too. I like it! It's audience is described as "South Staffordshire". Has anyone else been listening to this station?
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 8:24 am   #2
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Default Re: BCMR radio

How odd!
If it does not broadcast commercials, and is not government funded, how does it pay it's way, I wonder?
I have had a listen for this station here in central Derbyshire, and I cannot hear any trace of it, although my location is well above sea level. Must be fairly low-powered.
I like the idea of dispensing with the mouthy, brain-dead "Jocks" though! Tony.
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 11:08 am   #3
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I can hear nothing on 89.7 at my location. I have had a tune on a couple of sets and there is Big City Radio on 89.1 from Birmingham.

Just a guess but, with the target audience as South Staffordshire, could BCMR perhaps be short for Black Country Music Radio? Though if it was in the Black Country I would surely hear it.

In the past the frequencies between R2, R3 and R4 have been popular with pirate stations around here.
Old 3rd Jul 2015, 11:26 am   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Is this the one?
http://www.bcmr.moonfruit.com/home/4572093012
http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2015/...nces-midlands/
Closed Thread