UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2008, 6:37 pm   #1
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Wartime Civilian Battery Set.

The mains Wartime Civilian sets still turn up regularly but the battery model seems far less common, so I was lucky to find this one at a Greenwich boot sale recently for just £10. The set, coded U16 and made by the Hale Electrical Co. Ltd., was totally original with no sign of previous repairs but full of cobwebs and dust, probably in dry storage for 60 years. The cabinet was structurally sound but most of the original finish had worn off, particularly on the top, so it was carefully sanded down and the worst of the dents filled with pine coloured plastic wood.
A few coats of Pine Ronseal "All In One" Wood finish were applied with a cloth and a new transfer for the top was printed and glued on. The speaker cloth was sound but a few loose fibres needed glueing back, it looks fine now and preserves originality.
The chassis was given a clean and as expected, the Hunts waxies had turned into resistors so these were replaced. The L.T. battery leads were a bit frayed so new ones, sleeved with boot laces!, were made up, all other components, including the high value resistors, checked out O.K. so it was time to apply some volts.
At first the set barely worked at all, even with a 60 foot aerial!, then the drive cord broke and had to be re-strung . It turned out that the aerial coil was open circuit, the winding was buried in wax so I swapped the coil for one from a spare mains Civvy chassis I had. After tweaking the trimmers the set came to life and now works very well, with good sound quality and is every bit as sensitive as the mains version, and still on its original Mazda valves. The set is currently running on a Cyclon 2v cell for LT, and for HT, a set of four 24v Varta nicads marked "Battery Secondary No 16" that I've had for years, amazingly the set still works with as little as 50 volts HT !. Must make up a proper looking battery one day .

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wartime civvy 3.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	15280   Click image for larger version

Name:	wartime civvy 1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	15281   Click image for larger version

Name:	wartime civvy 2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	15282   Click image for larger version

Name:	wartime civvy 4.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	15283   Click image for larger version

Name:	wartime civvy 5.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	15284  

Old 15th Feb 2008, 6:54 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Wartime Civilian Battery Set.

Nice find Mick. To be honest I wasn't aware of battery versions! I used to go to a big car boot in Greenwich occasionally during the eighties-it was in the centre [I think] and near a big indoor antiques place. Got 78's but the only radio gear I saw was consoles or RG's so not transportable. Dave
Old 15th Feb 2008, 7:09 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hello Mick,

That looks really good! You've done a great restoration, well done!

It is the first battery version of the Civilian Utility set that I've seen in the flesh, only ever seen it on the pages of 'Radio, Radio' before. I'm not a great fan of 'woodies' usually but this is the exception to the rule. Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo View Post
The L.T. battery leads were a bit frayed so new ones, sleeved with boot laces!
Thats a great idea, I bet they look just like old braided wires. Will definitely have to give that a try!

Quote:
...the winding was buried in wax so I swapped the coil for one from a spare mains Civvy chassis I had.
To get through the wax without damaging the wires have you tried a brand of ear-wax softener, such as Ear-Ex, from the chemist? Someone, who I can't remember for the moment , passed that tip on to me and it really does work. Just paint the stuff on and the wax melts away after a short while. Also good for freeing up IFT cores and the like that have been sealed when you need to do a re-alignment.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 15th Feb 2008, 7:21 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Thanks Dave, Robert, It's funny how these things happen, but having restored a mains Civvy set recently I was keen to find a battery one, I read about Jon Evans scruffy example:-

http://www.thevalvepage.com/radios/w...ry/warbatt.htm

A week later, this one turns up! Lucky or what!
Thanks for the tip about dissolving the wax on tuning coils, I'll try that. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 15th Feb 2008, 7:31 pm   #5
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
...A week later, this one turns up! Lucky or what!
Yes it certainly is weird when that happens! A similar thing happened to me last October. I'd been chatting to Edward (Igranic) about his Vidor Vanguard and told him how I hoped to obtain one someday, but commented that I didn't know where from. Less than a week later one was listed on eBay and 5 days later I'd won it!

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=21859

I'd not seen any others before that or since!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 16th Feb 2008, 12:44 pm   #6
howard
Nonode

Hello Mick,

I'm amazed you got that working ! Actually it's a bit more interesting to look at than the usual rectangular wartime utility radio. Good work

Howard
Old 16th Feb 2008, 2:24 pm   #7
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Wartime Civilian Battery Set.

Very nice looking wireless Mike, a great restoration, the generous size speaker must sound good in the wooden cabinet. I like the batteries, could do with similar myself for my battery portable.

Geof
Old 16th Feb 2008, 3:35 pm   #8
Aerodyne
Octode

I remember first seeing one of these on a mate's bench in the mid 1950s, in a family-sized brick air-raid shelter in the back yard of his parent's terrace house. He had it running from an eliminator and I was struck by how good a performer it was - and also how relatively crudely presented it was. I've not come across one since personally, though there have been a few for sale you-know-where. Nice bit of work, Mick. I like the bootlace adaption!
_Tony
Old 16th Feb 2008, 10:37 pm   #9
slidertogrid
Octode

Superb Job!
Rich
Old 12th May 2008, 8:53 pm   #10
Utility Matt
Retired Dormant Member

I seem to remember seeing a link somewhere to the list of makers of these but cannot find it in search now, anyone remember where it is..?!
thanks in advance
Old 12th May 2008, 9:06 pm   #11
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

There is a list of makers codes here:-

http://www.classicwireless.btinternet.co.uk/warcivb.htm

Regards, Mick.
Old 13th May 2008, 11:14 am   #12
Aerodyne
Octode

There's also a list of makers on the back page of Trader 688, and a full listing in 'Radio! Radio!'
-Tony
Old 13th May 2008, 12:18 pm   #13
Duke_Nukem
Octode

I believe only handful of manufacturers made the battery version. Mine's by Ultra, this one is Hale, anyone else have a different manufacturer ?

TTFN,
Jon
Old 13th May 2008, 1:05 pm   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Got one with Long wave on
Old 13th May 2008, 1:44 pm   #15
radioman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem View Post
I believe only handful of manufacturers made the battery version. Mine's by Ultra, this one is Hale, anyone else have a different manufacturer ?

TTFN,
Jon
I've got one in the 'to-do' pile stamped U20 - which according to the list is made by McMichael

Andy
G-QRP #12697
Old 14th May 2008, 11:08 am   #16
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

I have an immaculate battery version which was made by Philips.
Some day, I'll restore it to full working order. I did try it about 20yrs ago and there was signs of life.

The mains and battery wartime civillian receivers were designed by Dr Murray of Murphy Radio Ltd.

Although I have the Murphy version of the mains set, Murphy were not one of the companies that produced the battery version.

You either love them or hate them. I know collectors who think they are awful, but beauty is not just skin deep.
They are well designed and thought out receivers with more than enough sensitivity for what they were expected to do, and somewhat better circuitry than other later 1940's efforts produced by manufacturers. They have certainly stood the test of time in operation.

Mike...