UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2008, 6:15 pm   #1
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Cossor CR4142A

Hello all,

It was last Sunday when I was over at my parents house when my mother said that there was a Cossor radio over the market yesterday, well we went over (as the market runs Fri, Sat & Sun) but there was no sign of the radio or the stall that I was told it was on…. Drat!

I went over again to the market yesterday morning and found the radio, it is a Cossor CR4142 and made in Holland, there is no listing in the red R&TV service books and nothing on Paul’s cd’s. I gave it a quick once over and it was obvious that it would never be a stunner as there was too many scratches and someone had ripped in the speaker cloth leaving it gaping like a big mouth! I thought a bit more and decided to rescue it and use it as a workshop radio.

I asked the guy how much he wanted for it and he said “twenty quid” I came straight back fast and said “speaker cloth’s all broken mate, I’ll give you fifteen?” He paused for a bit and said go on then.

Today I started on the set, first thing I did was remove the right hand speaker and repair the cloth with tape, there is no cloth missing but unfortunately it has stretched before breaking, I don’t think it looks too bad, I then had a close look over the chassis/rats nest! to make sure nothing looked nasty, Main smoother didn’t look very clever but brought it up on the variac anyway……. Nothing apart from a hum from both speakers. HT was down too at 150v. I replaced the smoothers by hiding replacements under the chassis and cable tied them in, HT now at 230v, Ok that’s better I have MW now but not a lot else, I squirted some switch cleaner in the piano keys and this made things a lot nicer. Right, MW, LW and SW working but still no VHF or magic eye, I noticed the ECC85 heater wasn’t glowing so unplugged it gave the socket a dousing in switch cleaner and re-inserted it. Now things were really good,
All heaters alight, all wave bands working very well.

This radio has awesome tone, there are five push buttons above the dial glass,
These are tone buttons and from the left are as follows:

Bass+ Bass- Treble- Treble+ Treble++

All that was needed now was a magic eye, I didn’t have an EM80 but did have two very good EM81’s. According to data, the two tubes are not the same, I tried it anyhow as pinouts are the same and so is target voltage, the eye works perfectly, you can see in the photo how good it is.

The valve line up is:

EZ80, EL84, EABC80, EF85, ECH81, ECC85 and EM80 (now EM81)

The set is now good enough for the workshop which is where it will live but a lot more cosmetically needs doing if it were to be on show in the house.

Cheers
Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1192.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	15708   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1195.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	15709   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1197.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	15710   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1199.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	15711   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1200.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	15712  

Old 9th Mar 2008, 6:16 pm   #2
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: Cossor CR4142A

And the repaired speaker cloth!

Cheers
Lee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1201.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	15713  
Old 9th Mar 2008, 6:36 pm   #3
batterymaker1
Heptode

Interesting table set--reminds me of a Plano.
Old 9th Mar 2008, 6:40 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

Nice set - well done (and well spotted Mum!). Cossor sets of this era often have a Philips Equivalent. (So do Stella!).

Just one thing - check on the Control Grid (First grid after Cathode!) of the EL84. If there is a positive voltage, change THAT cap. Saves the EL84 and the Output Transformer!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 9th Mar 2008, 6:49 pm   #5
Tazman1966
Nonode

Nice one Lee! All in an afternoon's work. It looks better than you described it earlier

What year do you (or anyone else for that matter) reckon that it is from?

All the best fella,
Old 9th Mar 2008, 7:44 pm   #6
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi Steve, Hi Tas,

Steve, no probs on the grid of the EL84, forgot to mention in my short write up that this was one of the first checks I performed with the set powered. Tas, Hard to say but I reckon it's probably from around 1962-63. Anybody else fancy a wild stab?

Cheers
Lee
Old 9th Mar 2008, 7:51 pm   #7
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi everyone,

One thing I did forget to mention is what a nightmare servicing components could be, If you need to get the chassis out to replace some of the components that are impossible to reach with it in..........forget it!! These clever people at Cossor Holland have bonded the ivory piano keys to the steel shafts of the switches so that you cannot remove the chassis without breaking them off

Cheers
Old 9th Mar 2008, 10:32 pm   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb View Post
Hi everyone,

If you need to get the chassis out to replace some of the components that are impossible to reach with it in..........forget it!! These clever people at Cossor Holland have bonded the ivory piano keys to the steel shafts of the switches so that you cannot remove the chassis without breaking them off

Cheers

Ummm...! Are you sure it doesn't come out from the front?? The Philips one does complete with the tuning scale. You don't need to take the knobs or the piano keys off. It all slides out with the tuning scale attached. Undo the screws at the bottom of the cabinet, there may be a couple inside securing the scale, then push the whole lot out. Watch the speakers though, you may have to unsolder the leads.

I can't see the Stella version being that different from the Philips.

If you look here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=22504
there is an account of my referb of a Philips of similar vintage and style. On this one, there is a wooden strip that runs across the bottom of the scale. This is removed by undoing a couple of screws underneath the front edge of the cabinet. This allows the whole chassis with scale and buttons to be withdrawn from the front.

Rich.

Last edited by Sideband; 9th Mar 2008 at 10:39 pm.
Old 9th Mar 2008, 11:07 pm   #9
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi Rich,

Thanks for that, I will have a look tomorrow, I must admit that I never even thought about the chassis coming out front ways, that may be the answer.

Cheers
Lee
Old 9th Mar 2008, 11:28 pm   #10
paulsherwin

You can swap EM80s and EM81s. The EM81 is more sensitive so will give a bigger deflection for the same AGC voltage.

Paul
Old 12th Mar 2008, 12:34 am   #11
howard
Nonode

Well done Lee

I like these plano cased sets myself, and this Cossor is similar to a couple of my own Philips plano sets. I hope you eventually smarten it up enough to have in your house

Howard
Old 17th Mar 2008, 11:46 am   #12
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Cossor CR4142A

Bit late on this one, congratulations on finding this, very good restoration, keep an eye on that exploding cap.

Geof
Old 17th Mar 2008, 6:28 pm   #13
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Thanks everyone for your comments, Howard, all I need is a new two piece knob for the left handside, one per tuner then it's good for the house, the one on there has its chrome embelishment missing.

Geof, no worries about that cap, its no longer in circuit!

Cheers
Lee
Old 17th Mar 2008, 8:24 pm   #14
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Cossor CR4142A

Quote:

the one on there has its chrome embelishment missing.

its no longer in circuit!

Cheers
Lee
it's no longer in circuit! Not so exciting though

Have you tried d.i.y. stores or modelling shops, a self adhesive chrome piece could be cut to size. Even some food wrappers can be used, gold or silver wrappers for example, and an excuse to buy a bar of chocolate.

Geof

Last edited by geofy; 17th Mar 2008 at 8:34 pm.
Old 20th Mar 2008, 12:19 pm   #15
Neil Purling
Nonode

Is the ferrite rod bracket attached to the top of the smoothing can, or is it just the angle the picture is taken at?
Old 20th Mar 2008, 2:10 pm   #16
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi Neil,

Yes, they have used the smoother to perch the ferrite rod aerial on!

Cheers
Old 29th Apr 2008, 10:56 pm   #17
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I have one of these Cossor plano sets now, albeit the later CR4214A model. I'm almost certain that they are Cossor versions of the Philips B4X23A as their chassis are identical. The chassis does comes out the front of these as described here .....

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=24487

Howard

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...6&d=1209331795
Old 6th May 2008, 3:01 pm   #18
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

I've started work on my Cossor CR4214A and interestingly the chassis on this model and no doubt the CR4142A, comes out the back of the case, the first plano style set I've encountered like this. To remove the chassis ....

- remove the four screws under the front of the case which secure the trim behind the piano keys and remove the trim

- pull off the knobs

- remove the two brackets which support the glass dial at the bottom

- remove the 2 x 8mm black bolts in the middle of the dial and remove the dial

- remove the bottom cover to release the 2 earth wires

- remove two screws which retain the tone button assembly

- unsolder loudspeaker wires

- remove 4 x chassis screws underneath (and 4 x transit screws if present) and the chassis comes out the back.

Phew !

Howard

Hint - to avoid scratching the wooden case when removing the dial put some masking tape over it !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cossor_CR4212A_wip.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	16994  

Last edited by howard; 6th May 2008 at 3:08 pm.
Old 12th May 2008, 7:26 am   #19
howard
Nonode

Quote:
....... Howard, all I need is a new two piece knob for the left handside, one per tuner then it's good for the house, the one on there has its chrome embelishment missing.......
Lee
Hello Lee,

I've checked the knobs on my scrap Philips B4X23A and unfortunately they're different from those on these Cossor sets. However the Cossor knobs are the same as those on the Stella ST160A and no doubt other late Philips sets so I'll send you a PM and suggest a couple of places where you might be able to source spares.

Howard
Closed Thread