UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2008, 10:05 am   #1
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Antone Cadet (finally)

If you've been following things you'll know that this one has been in progress for quite a while but I've finally gotten around to finishing it (except for one minor thing - more about that later).

The story - this is a set my grandfather bought my dad and aunt when the extension speaker on the 'main' radio failed, around 1949/50 judging by the dates on the electrolitics. It was purchased from a radio shop in Oamaru.

Antone were an Auckland company that went on to become Bell Radio, famous (in NZ) for the Bell Colt, a cheap, simple and reliable radio that was made until the 70's.

My parents used it as a kitchen radio in the late 60's, and my first memories were of it as the 'old radio' in the study which was hardly ever used - that would have been late 70's. It was in storage the next 15 years or so, at which point I did a 'restoration' that involved a quick blow out of the dust, re-gluing (badly) the grille cloth and replacing the mains cable. Then back into storage - in my garage, then in the garden shed (!) at my parents place until I retrieved it last year for a good going over.

Nothing out of the ordinary, except an annoying lack of sensitivity. All the wax caps were replaced, and it was still quite insensitive. Part of that would have been the short superhet design, but HT seemed low. I had the valves tested - all good, although for a few dollars I bought a new 6X5GT as the original had a bit of 'extra' heater that could have resulted in an internal short. At that point I replaced the electrolytics - thought they were probably ok because of the lack of hum, but the HT came up a few volts and the sensitivity was heaps better. Still not great, but I could pick up every local station with only a metre or so of wire.

Valve lineup is:
* 6AR7GT double diode pentode
* 6K8GT triode hexode
* EL41 output pentode
* 6X5GT rectifier

The 6AR7GT is an oddball Australian valve designed for this kind of short superhet.

I cleaned the cabinet with Brasso and then polished with brown Kiwi shoe polish at Radio Dave's suggestion - worked a treat. There are still paint splatters on there, but I don't think they detract too much - its minor really - and they do speak of the history and character of the set. Brasso worked a treat removing marker pen from the scale window, and very careful handwash in Cold Water Surf then drying on tiles by a north-facing window (remember what hemisphere I'm in!) got the worst of the dust and dirt off the grille cloth.

I'm quite happy with how its all come up, and after the first reaction of "not likely" when I suggested dad would want it back he has agreed that it would look very appropriate sitting on his old oak roll-top desk like it used to!

I've attached photos of the end result. For the 'before' shots check the other threads here, here and here.

Thanks to everyone who helped with info, to audiomm who got me the right kind of dial bulb and Peter Lankshear (local expert, not on the forum) who helped with Antone-specific info and advice and tested the valves.

Finally - one last job is to check the Rola 5" speaker, which rattles a little. I hope to take it around to Peter Lankshear to look at this at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antone-finished-frontleft.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	16779   Click image for larger version

Name:	antone-finished-frontright.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	16780   Click image for larger version

Name:	antone-finished-frontright2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	16781   Click image for larger version

Name:	antone-finished-rear.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	16782  
Old 27th Apr 2008, 10:14 am   #2
JoshWard
Octode

Default Re: Antone Cadet (finally)

What a pretty little radio! Congratulations on the restoration, it certainly looks lovely! Josh.
Old 29th Apr 2008, 9:44 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Well done

That's a nice little radio.

Howard
Old 29th Apr 2008, 10:01 am   #4
Tazman1966
Nonode

I'll echo Howard and Josh's sentiments too! Well done
Old 29th Apr 2008, 5:39 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done! It is nice to get something completely finished, isn't it?

A common cause of rattling, especially when a speaker's been stored in a shed or similar, is the fabric suspension that supports the centre of the cone, coming away from the speaker chassis/magnet assembly, due to the glue failing.

Take the speaker out and have a look behind the cone with a torch. Push the cone to its maximum outwards excursion and see if you can see the fabric pulling away from the chassis

Nick.
Old 29th Apr 2008, 7:40 pm   #6
Aerodyne
Octode

That's a really neat little set, well worth the time and effort you've put in to such good effect, Arjoll.
-Tony
Old 5th May 2008, 6:10 pm   #7
itactics
Retired Dormant Member

Thats a sweet restoration Andrew! The before and after shots are great! And given this radios close association with your family it must have been a very satisfying project Well done!
Closed Thread