UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2018, 2:11 pm   #1
G3VKM_Roger
Hexode

Default Hewlett-Packard Transformer info wanted

Hi All,

I have a well-made mains transformer here which I believe is suitable for valve equipment. The Hewlett-Packard P/No is HP9100-0054 and there is "Mfd PAECO 4054" below the P/No. Someone has stuck a label on the side with markings 380-0-380 and 6.3 but the writing has faded and I can't make out the colour codes. The HP P/No gets lots of Google hits but they are all parts suppliers in the US.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Roger
Old 12th Jul 2018, 4:29 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Nonode

Default Re: Hewlett-Packard Transformer info wanted

What are the wire colours, and can you do a continuity test to see what is connected to what and thus what wires go to the same winding? HP mains transformer primary windings tend to be black wires with various tracer colours.

Incidentally, HP9100-xxxx numbers are transformers.
Old 12th Jul 2018, 7:00 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

PAECO = Palo Alto Electric Co which might bias the availability of info towards the US

A photo might help, i might recognise what it comes from. Assume that it was custom designed for some instrument.

David.
Old 12th Jul 2018, 8:08 pm   #4
G3VKM_Roger
Hexode

Thanks Tony & David,

I've pretty much sorted out the wiring with the aid of my AVO8 and believe I have identified the HV and centre tap, 6.3 V winding and two primary windings, so I think the next step is to see what happens on my Variac. There are two windings that read slightly higher in resistance than the 6.3V pair, and and another winding whose marking on the label looks like 14V.

I'm unsure what the transformer came from, most likely some HP test gear. It was in a homebrew PSU in a cabinet with a 12-way Jones plug outlet, a lot of stacked leaky electrolytics and some diodes. The Jones plug made me think that it was a PSU for a Swan or Drake transceiver.

The colours are:-

Red to Red probably HV winding resistance 160 Ohms each side of CT. Label says 380-0-380V
Red/Yellow tracer centre-tap
Blue to blue probably 6.3V (heavier winding)
Brown to brown, unknown but possibly 14V from label
Green to green, unknown
Yellow to yellow, unknown
Red/black to Green/black, probably 115V,
Black to Black/yellow, ditto

I need about 150ma HT from this transformer if it works. No joy with finding connection info yet, just spares suppliers with quotation forms.

Cheers

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070350.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	165975   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070351.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	165976  
Old 12th Jul 2018, 9:46 pm   #5
factory
Pentode

I've tried searching for all combinations of 9100-0054, 910-054, 910-54 (earlier) and not found anything, the manuals on HParchive are searchable but it's not there. It's probably from something less common, I found 910-56 in a 1954 manual and your 9100-0054 has 11-65 on the bottom so it's likely something that was available from the 50's through to the 60's but discontinued by 1974 as the parts price list doesn't list it.

This circuit diagram for a similar transformer should help with the primary winding connections but the secondary windings often varied a lot dependiing on the voltages & current required.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HP_715A_Klystron_Power_Supply_Schematic edit.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	165982  
Old 12th Jul 2018, 10:10 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

1950's into 1960's style covers and the PAECO marking.

Could be from anything. Not a large one, so I'd guess a signal generator. The highish seeming HT for the core size (power) of transformer is because it's likely to have had a series valve regulator and the overhead has to handle mains variations as well as load variations/ They toleranced these things very thoroughly.

You may be reduced to guessing an HP product, downloading the manual and searching the material lists until you finally hit the part number.

David
Old 13th Jul 2018, 5:07 am   #7
TonyDuell
Nonode

Black-Black/Yellow and Black/Green-Black/Red are commonly used for the 2 115V primaries on an HP transformer. Try connecting Black/Yellow to Black/Green and then applying mains via a lamp limiter to Black and Black/Red. That way of connecting them in series should get the polarity/phase right, but just in case you have the lamp limiter.

Assuming it powers up with the lamp limiter dark, you can then measure the secondary voltages (red-red/yellow-red would conventionally be the high voltage winding as you suggest).
Old 13th Jul 2018, 8:53 am   #8
G3VKM_Roger
Hexode

Many thanks, guys, the colour codes and cct are especially useful.

I will get the transformer hooked up and see what I get!

All the best,

Roger
Old 13th Jul 2018, 3:56 pm   #9
G3VKM_Roger
Hexode

Hi Guys,

All the outputs seem to be OK and the volts as expected. I'm going to lash up a PSU and test the transfomer on load at about 150ma. If it meets requirements then I'll make a proper job to run my various TXs.

Thanks again for your help and hope I can return the compliment someday.

Roger
Closed Thread