UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2016, 12:51 pm   #1
Gulliver
Hexode

Default Vodafone / Nokia Mobira Talkman

I just thought I would share this. A few years ago I came by a Vodafone branded Nokia Mobira Talkman mobile phone from the mid 80s.

Of course there is no signal but it still fires up if I apply 12V to the correct pins. They don't make 'em like they used to!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160504_121723.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	124027   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160428_141042.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	124028  
Old 4th May 2016, 12:57 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Vodafone / Nokia Mobira Talkman

I found one of those dumped in the street by car thieves! It got handed back, but I hung onto the 2x6V Dryfit lead acid battery pack which was used to power a cassette player when we went on holidays to a cottage with no electricity in France. This would have been c.1986.

The main unit was beautifully made with a diecast aluminium chassis and case. The battery pack even has a moving coil meter to indicate state of charge!

Nick.
Old 4th May 2016, 1:23 pm   #3
Gulliver
Hexode

Yes it does have a moving coil meter, and the whole thing is a quality product.

The battery on this one is dead, I cannot make it take a charge. but the phone itself appears to work, inasmuch as a phone with no network can. I do have the rubber antenna somewhere too.
Old 4th May 2016, 1:25 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I recall having the BT equivalent of that in the late-1980s. When fitted to the "in-car recharge/mounting cage" it took up half the passenger footwell-space of a Ford Sierra.
Old 4th May 2016, 4:36 pm   #5
Wellington
Hexode

Question Re: Vodafone / Nokia Mobira Talkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
inasmuch as a phone with no network can…
Out of interest, what kind of network did this phone use?
Old 4th May 2016, 4:57 pm   #6
cmjones01
Nonode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_...ication_System

If you're interested in the technical details of what goes on behind the scenes in an analogue mobile phone network, the most recent Amp Hour podcast has an interview with Mike Harrison (of Mike's Electric Stuff fame) describing his antics working with the phones. It's entertaining as well as educational!

Chris
Old 4th May 2016, 6:48 pm   #7
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Nice 86 MHz crystal filter in there and the synthesiser is interesting too.
Some bits useful for 1296MHz work.
Would have made a quality 934Mhz CB back in the day by defeating all the signalling and control. I'll get my coat....
Old 5th May 2016, 12:28 pm   #8
BigClick
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I recall having the BT equivalent of that in the late-1980s. When fitted to the "in-car recharge/mounting cage" it took up half the passenger footwell-space of a Ford Sierra.
I had a BT Crystal which I think was a badged Motorola. That also took a lot of room, but the battery and transceiver was in the back of my Sierra with just the handset mounted in the front on the gear stick prop shaft console thing

It was a real status symbol at the time lol
Old 5th May 2016, 4:33 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClick View Post
I had a BT Crystal which I think was a badged Motorola. That also took a lot of room, but the battery and transceiver was in the back of my Sierra with just the handset mounted in the front on the gear stick prop shaft console thing
Mine - a BT "Steel" - needed to be easily accessible for "grab and go" duties outside the car so the entire lump fitted into the cradle in the footwell. Still needed to manually unscrew the antenna lead [a TNC connector] and refit the stubby rubber whip, so it wasn't really a proper 'docking station' setup.

THere's a pic here: http://www.retrofones.com/index.php?...product_id=206

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClick View Post
It was a real status symbol at the time lol
Yes - and with airtime at 50 to 70p a minute you kept outgoing calls short! [or got someone else to call you].
Old 5th May 2016, 5:37 pm   #10
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I remember having to lug a Panasonic? version around radio sites in the eighties and early nineties. Very useful at the time, but sadly overtaken by technology. I think it used one of those long thin 12V dryfits. Later on I had a Motorola 4800X car mount with a remote box in the boot. The handset was a smallish unit with the keypad etc on it. The speaker and hands free mic were mounted up front. Our guys used to fit these to officers' cars so I have been almost through a complete history of car and transportable and then demountable kits fitted to vehicles over the years. The audio quality was pretty good on calls...if you could get a signal! I think I might still have the 4800X in a box somewhere. I seem to remember that you used to hear the odd data burst on calls when the phone used to hand off between cells.
Old 7th May 2016, 6:08 pm   #11
g8jzyian
Pentode

The same box held the R58 mid band trunked radio.
http://www.jrc.co.uk/pmr/nokia

Ian

Last edited by g8jzyian; 7th May 2016 at 6:08 pm. Reason: typo
Closed Thread