UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2010, 10:59 pm   #1
Millay_2010
Hexode

Default 328, dead transmitter and always off hook

Hi

I seem to be having rather two many problems with phones than normal.

I have wired up a 328 to work on plug and socket, and when i plug it in, the microphone is dead, or at least I dont get any side tone in the receiver.

The dial cannot dial out it just returns to dial tone, and i cannot hang up the line is constantly open when the phone is plugged in.

I have removed the dial and strapped terminals 4-5 on the dial terminal board as advised for CB working, checked all the wires are correct and that continuity is good. I have had a brief check of the induction coil and that seems fine.

Any ideas? Its worth noting that although it is a 328 it has no keys installed.

thanks
Andy
Old 18th May 2010, 11:32 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: 328, dead transmitter and always off hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millay_2010 View Post
Hi

I have removed the dial and strapped terminals 4-5 on the dial terminal board as advised for CB working, checked all the wires are correct and that continuity is good. I have had a brief check of the induction coil and that seems fine.
What happens when you plug her in with the dial strapped out? Do you get sidetone (mic working)? Does the cradle switch cut off the dial-tone? Does the telephone ring when requested to do so, and, if it does, can you answer it satisfactorily?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:27 am   #3
Millay_2010
Hexode

Default Re: 328, dead transmitter and always off hook

Feeling rather embarrassed now, I solved the problem, I've been buying fax leads and using them in a junction box with the original wiring and, well, I completely fouled up the wiring in the junction box, the 'A' leg was going to the bell wire etc. Basically because the fax lead uses its own wiring and I was using the wrong diagram to decipher what wire was what.

On that note I shall sheepishly walk away and thanks Russell for the offer of help.
Closed Thread