UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2021, 1:50 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Mystery floor standing loudspeakers - any ideas?

You can see the rivet holes for the brackets on the long sides of the bass driver, and the matching holes part way along the brackets So the mystery shifts to why the brackets are so much longer than necessary.

Anyway, the speakers are cobbled together from what someone had to hand. Difficult to criticise, because I did things like that when I didn't have much to do it with.

David
Old 11th Jun 2021, 1:51 pm   #22
stevehertz
Dekatron

It's a Frankenstein build for sure.
Old 11th Jun 2021, 2:16 pm   #23
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
Rigonda made all their drive units in-house and the loudspeakers that came with the Symphony radiogram were quite different to these - see below. They have a 10" bass driver, a 6" midrange and a 1.5" cone tweeter.

As an aside, they are astonishingly good speakers, albeit with somewhat limited power handling!
Thanks for that. I knew some Rigonda radiogram speakers were imported from the USSR, but I didn't realise that *all* of them were. Live and learn.
Old 11th Jun 2021, 10:10 pm   #24
whiskas
Octode

Ahh yes, I see what you mean, vidjoman - well spotted!
(making previous suggestion sound rather silly now..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Look carefully and you'll see the tweeter is riveted to the brackets with through the tweeter fixing holes. These look like someone has bodged the speakers into an existing box.
Old 12th Jun 2021, 2:44 pm   #25
ajs37
Heptode

Just for interest sake - there are a pair of these "Vintage 1969 Rigonda Symphony Speakers - By Radiotechnica Riga" for sale on Market place in Bristol for £149....
Old 12th Jun 2021, 3:29 pm   #26
RDWER123
Triode

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Yes, 'Frankenstein' builds makes sense, and although I can't take the front covers off, I can feel that the baffle cut-outs don't really line up with the drive units. There is possibly even a third hole, suggesting whatever the hell the 'Symphonie' cabinet was, it was meant as a three-way?

What to do with them though? Probably donate them to the Habitat Restore!
Old 12th Jun 2021, 4:06 pm   #27
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

These still puzzle me. Apart from a bit of BAF wadding in the base, there appears to be no real damping in the cabinet which looks like a non-ported enclosure. These large EMI ellipticals were primarilly designed for use in reflex cabinets.....??
I bet these sound really "boxy".
Old 12th Jun 2021, 11:01 pm   #28
Hartley118
Nonode

If they sound OK with the cabinet backs off, I’d be inclined to leave them that way rather than cramping the style of those rather good big EMI elliptical units by enclosing them in a small volume and hence pushing up their fundamental resonant frequency pretty horribly.

Martin