UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2018, 2:19 pm   #61
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Re: Dynatron CTV63 problem

I've just had the back off and taken a picture of the capacitor, also I sorted the colour problem out. I still need to sort the focus out but will leave that for when I get a bigger mirror to shove in front of the screen. Incidentally, there is a Teletext can on one of the boards, can I assume it's Teletext enabled? Obviously it's useless now but I remember that some of my home recorded Betamax tapes have Teletext information on it.

Thanks again everyone.
Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181013_130232.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	170823   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181013_140944.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	170824   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181013_141317.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	170825   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181013_130624.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	170826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181013-WA0019.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	170827  

Old 13th Oct 2018, 4:48 pm   #62
dazzlevision
Dekatron

The word “WELDED” on the big blue LCR capacitor tells us it is the reliable type and should not cause any trouble.
Old 13th Oct 2018, 4:51 pm   #63
Snarf81
Heptode

Phew...
I'm glad about that, one less thing to change.
Thanks dazzlevision.

Richard.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 11:19 am   #64
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf81 View Post
Incidentally, there is a Teletext can on one of the boards, can I assume it's Teletext enabled?
The fact your set’s IF board has that Teletext label on a “can” suggests you have a Teletext capable set, but to be sure, you’d need to see if there is a Teletext decoder board fitted, which won’t be on the main chassis, but fitted to the cabinet side or bottom. I see from one of your pictures that there is one cabinet mounted board, with a small mains transformer on it, so your set is at least a remote control type. There is another board on the cabinet side that looks like it is the remote control board. There is no small Teletext interface board on the main chassis’ decoder board, so your set will not be Teletext capable. Do you have the remote control handset?

Last edited by dazzlevision; 14th Oct 2018 at 11:29 am. Reason: Extra text.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 11:32 am   #65
Snarf81
Heptode

There is a remote control that came with it but I'm not sure if it's the correct one for the set. I posted a picture of it along with that smoothing cap.

Thanks again
Richard.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 11:53 am   #66
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Here is a photo of the G11 decoder board (the middle one), with the Teletext interface sub-panel fitted (it's the small vertically mounted board, with a cable form going into the top of it, near the heatsink with three transistors). Your decoder board doesn't even have the connecting pins for the Teletext interface board.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Philips G26C724 IF decoder timebase view - components side.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	170903  

Last edited by dazzlevision; 14th Oct 2018 at 12:05 pm.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 12:36 pm   #67
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf81 View Post
There is a remote control that came with it but I'm not sure if it's the correct one for the set.
Richard.
The G11 is a Philips design and so is the remote, which looks like it is a suitable replacement for the original Dynatron branded item. No Teletext buttons on it, which reinforces my view that the TV isn’t a Teletext capable set.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 3:29 pm   #68
Red to black
Nonode

Indeed, my model number data shows the Dynatron CTV 63 as Infra Red frc (full remote control) and non text in the feature list.

Last edited by Red to black; 14th Oct 2018 at 3:33 pm. Reason: missed part of model number
Old 14th Oct 2018, 5:05 pm   #69
Snarf81
Heptode

Ah ok,
Thank you for that information, at least I know now that I've got the correct replacement remote control and the set isn't teletext.

Thanks again
Richard.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 11:02 pm   #70
simpsons
Octode

Richard

I too am working on a G11 and on my version, a Philips, there is no clamp for the scan coils. It has been replaced by an incremental adjustment built into the yoke design which results in a "click" sound when you rotate the scan coils using the radial positioning lever.

First, of course, release the assembly by pulling the 2 levers away from the CRT bowl as shown in the diagram posted by Dazzelvision. I find it easier to adjust the scan to be vertical if necessary reducing the width to see the edge of the display against the CRT as any error is more noticable.

Because there are quite a few volts where your hand will be when adjusting the scan coil, I suggest you switch the set off each time you move it. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Chris
Old 19th Oct 2018, 11:00 am   #71
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi Chris,

Ahhhhh, that would explain why there is no clamp on mine then.

Thank you for this information. I'll have another go at it over the weekend as I haven't got the picture quite level yet, and thanks for the heads up about the live chassis! I'm doing all of the adjusting with the set unplugged. I just need to sort the focus out as around the screen is a bit blurry plus there is something wrong with the contrast whereby if it's turned to maximum and a bright image comes on then the top of the screen distorts and the picture flashes with an accompanying boom from the speaker.

Thanks again Chris

Richard.
Old 19th Oct 2018, 12:32 pm   #72
toshiba tony
Heptode

This G11 wants it's a**e tanning. A noise coming from the speaker dependant on picture content is puzzling, but I seem to remember if the beam limiter comes in that could cause it. And regarding the "half live" chassis, just make sure you are not at (or near) anything that is at earth potential, iron, scope, radiators. Electricity should be respected but not feared. OK, I've probably raised a few eyebrows but you should be safe. You need to ascertain if the blurring issue convergence or a focus issue. These used split diode technology, focus issues could occur. Please post a pic or two of some lettering, perhaps of a freeview box in the menu mode.
Old 19th Oct 2018, 1:32 pm   #73
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi Tony.
Thanks for the info.

I've taken a few pics but my phone camera doesn't like the tv screen flicker...

Thanks
Richard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181019_132844.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	171202   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181019_132908.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	171203  
Old 19th Oct 2018, 3:44 pm   #74
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Check ht volts. Also RGB voltages. Do you have a manual? Malc.
Old 19th Oct 2018, 4:32 pm   #75
Snarf81
Heptode

I've downloaded the service manual but I don't have an oscilloscope, but I do have a multimeter (which I need to repair the battery terminals).

Thanks
Richard
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 3:19 pm   #76
Snarf81
Heptode

Can this thread be closed please as I've decided to get rid of the tv set and be on the lookout for something more modern with scart etc.

Thanks again to everyone who commented, I appreciate your help and time.

Richard.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 4:10 pm   #77
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm sure a fellow forum member can be found who would like to take it off your hands. Maybe offer it in the appropriate forum section.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 10:41 am   #78
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi.
I've already been in touch with a member on here and he says he wants it. If, for any reason, he decides he doesn't want it then I'll put a post up on here.

Thanks again.
Richard.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 6:24 pm   #79
toshiba tony
Heptode

Well, call me sectionable but I had grown attached to this post, I now have dementia and whilst I remember the G11 the Dynatron version was of interest to me. Please, if it ends up being salvaged by a member on here please keep us up to date. We had both Philips and Thorn dealerships but the Philips one always made more sales. We saw a few Roberts tv's but the only Dynatron we saw was the 697. And that was a beast, I just hope it doesn't get necked. Take care all.
Tony Walker
Old 24th Oct 2018, 9:16 pm   #80
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi Tony.

Thanks for the post. I had grown attached to the tv but without proper service knowledge and equipment I couldn't go any further with it.
If the chap who wants it, doesn't want it for any reason then I'll advertise it on here so the new owner can keep us up to date with the pesky thing.

All the best.
Richard.
Closed Thread