UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2006, 8:04 pm   #1
Andy Day
Pentode

Default Where do you start?

I don't know how other restorers work, but I always start the electronics first - on the basis that if I can't get that going there is no point doing the box!

Where do others start?
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 8:26 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Where do you start?

Making it clean, because I have to see (and in some instances smell ) the thing. All else can wait a decade or two if need be, and often has...

Paul
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 8:38 pm   #3
Andy Day
Pentode

Yes, vacuum off the dust from the chassis, clean the bottles, have a look underneath and replace anything obviously dead or suspect, then power it up slowly on a variac and sniff!
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 8:45 pm   #4
evingar
Octode

I agree Andy, I always get the electronics going first, but certainly clean the chassis to a reasonable degree - Why restore the case of a TV to later find you have a duff LOP transformer or tube that might make the project unviable? I guess it's a little diffent with radios, as you don't often get such "show stoppers" - I still like to get the thing working first thought. Somehow it's like taking things for granted polishing up the case first

Last edited by mikelect; 23rd Oct 2006 at 9:00 pm. Reason: shouting
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 8:50 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Oh, the whole of what's inside sometimes waits the full decade or two here, if the dust is the nice sort. Nice dust doesn't smell when it's cold I've not had a variac in service yet, so when the time comes it's a case of reforming the main electrolytics with my trusty Hunts bridge, checking for shorts on the HT line, then switching on and standing well back

I take a pretty relaxed attitude toward the possibility of things actually working. When you've 700-odd radios around but don't listen much to the radio, and a couple of dozen TVs but never watch, it doesn't seem to matter much if half of them aren't in a fit state to do anything ...

Paul
Old 24th Oct 2006, 8:21 am   #6
JoshWard
Octode

I start with taking the chassis out of the cabinet (or I some-times start by taking the back panel off although I think most people do this first ). I give the chassis a clean then I check all the resistors and capacitors before I then power it up. Once it is working well I clean and polish the cabinet. Some-times I will polish a cabinet halfway through a chassis restoration- it is very theraputic if the thing still isn't working! My Wartime Civvy is very shiney now... Josh.
Old 24th Oct 2006, 10:39 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

I usually do a quick check of the mains and test the mains transformer and o/p tx just in case they are dud and may make the set non viable. I usually do the electronics first( I find it easier than cabinets) but have been known to chicken out and take "empty" woodies along to a local furniture restorer!
Old 25th Oct 2006, 8:19 pm   #8
batterymaker1
Heptode

Since I usually deal with portables--first order of the day is a complete teardown of the cabinet, chassis and hardware removed. Then I go over the case with GoJo hand cleaner, let it sit for a minute to dissolve the dirt and grime, then rinse off. If it's a plastic cabinet, both it and the knobs get a good rubdown with plastic polish. After that, it's on to the electronics. When I reassemble the set, repaired or not, it'll at least be shiny, clean and presentable. That's important if you have a wife who believes in cleanliness above all else....

Bill
Old 26th Oct 2006, 11:57 am   #9
Aerodyne
Octode

Like most restorers, I want to see if there's anything worth restoring before I put too much time and effort in, so first checks are made on HT and input circuitry, looking for shorts or opens (in the case of transformers). A clean reading here and the set is powered via the test lamp. Encouraging signs here, i.e. no smell of burning, no brilliantly lit lamp) leads to a clean-up of the chassis and fault correction. Once the chassis is functioning well, the cabinet can be looked at.
That's my general approach.
-Tony
Old 26th Oct 2006, 12:43 pm   #10
Panrock
Nonode

I tend to do things in reverse... Since the cabinet has to be tackled more slowly than the insides, with say a couple of flatted coats laid down every day, I'll start with the cabinet, then follow on later with the electronics, often doing this alongside.

Then, once the set is finished, I'll finish with the cabinet too, since further flatting is often necessary days later to deal with grain pits which have emerged etc.

Steve
Old 27th Oct 2006, 6:03 pm   #11
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I don't start restoring a set until I feel certain that I can complete it, so if any bits are missing or are irreparably damaged, then I will hunt down and acquire those first. When I have all the bits, then restoration begins, and I usually restore the case first, by totally dismantling it, cleaning it thoroughly, repairing it and then reassembling it. The chassis comes second, and as I usually restore transistor sets they are usually in some sort of working order except for sets with AF11* transistors in them which I generally replace. If a set sounds distorted or is dead on one or more wavebands then I seek assistance.

Howard
Closed Thread