UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2006, 10:53 pm   #1
jbraes
Triode

Cool Where have they gone...?

1950's radio for sale from e-Bay some time ago.
Good condition etc. When I switched it on everything lit up, but I did not hear anything. This is because all the stations marked on the dial do not exist anymore!
Ah such innocence. Or is it?
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 11:04 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Where have they gone...?

Hi jb,

Could be a number of reasons for your 'dead' radio. It'd be a great help if you'd give us the make and model number/name. The problem may simply be that it needs an external aerial. Any fault which may exist is a topic for the 'repair help electrical' department.

I note you live in Ullapool. Where is your nearest AM transmitter ? that's assuming your radio is AM-only.

Your question about stations no longer existing is one that can be answered in a single word. The stations marked on your radio will mostly ( if not all ) have long since either changed their names, changed frequency ( as with the BBC stations ) or simply closed down. You should, however, be able to receive RTE1 on LW and possibly BBC R4 too, plus at least a couple of clear MW stations.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 2nd Nov 2006 at 11:07 pm. Reason: Addition.
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 11:10 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I think jb's relating his amused (or just dumbfounded? ) response to someone else's eBay listing. We did quite a lot of that here once, but have to steer clear of it lately.

Paul
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 9:24 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

See https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8862

This is why another mod closed this thread.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread