UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2006, 10:48 am   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Daft Marconi transistor radio

Hi,

I've attached a couple of photos of a radio (don't know the model) that I picked up at a car boot sale the other day.

Quite simply, can anybody explain why the speaker is mounted on the back of the radio!

If I stand it against a wall it sounds awfull!... Mind you it doesn't sound much better when I don't

Thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	6007   Click image for larger version

Name:	M2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	6008  
Old 9th Oct 2006, 10:53 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Daft Marconi transistor radio

Perhaps it's meant to be used laying flat with the handle folded underneath and the speaker at the top?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Oct 2006, 10:56 am   #3
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

A long time ago I used to have a somewhat similar Marconi set, though MW/LW only. It worked fine when placed on the parcel shelf under the dashboard in my dad's car and the car aerial connected - I always assumed the speaker was on the back as it was meant as a car/portable set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ILN View Post
Perhaps it's meant to be used laying flat with the handle folded underneath and the speaker at the top?
That's how I used mine out of the car, it made a good bedside radio used like this.

Regards, Kat
Old 9th Oct 2006, 11:12 am   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4ILN View Post
Unfortunatly, no. I've attached a photo of the radio, in this position, and as you can see the handle is so central that I now have a see saw .

Another daft thing is an aerial socket in the bottom (see photo) which cannot be used when standing upright

Maybe Kat is onto something with the car idea!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	6009   Click image for larger version

Name:	m4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	6010  
Old 9th Oct 2006, 11:45 am   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Another daft thing is an aerial socket in the bottom (see photo) which cannot be used when standing upright

Maybe Kat is onto something with the car idea!

David
Definitely. A couple of HMV models I'm reasonably fond of, the big 2104 LW/MW portable and the later and also big Diplomat, come to mind as also having car aerial sockets at the base. The 'speaker at the back is something I don't think I've met, but in the context of car operation it makes a certain sense: who'd want to use a radio with the tuning scale upside-down? Still, those HMV sets have vented backs through which sound would emerge reasonably well, which seems the better compromise with use as a normal portable

Paul
Old 9th Oct 2006, 1:50 pm   #6
GJR 11L
Heptode

Well speakers in the back were good enough for B&O!
David, if you tightened up the handle, would it not stay put in a vertical plane and support the set at a bit of an angle? But then the "front" of the set is far too attractive to be hidden underneath it in any case.

Strange indeed.
Old 9th Oct 2006, 2:12 pm   #7
Radio_Dave
Nonode

The bolts for the handle have shoulders which prevent me tightening the grip on it. The only resistance is from a couple of, very flimsy, dished spring washers.

I keep looking at it but I really can't see how this radio can be stood, apart from the usual upright position
Closed Thread