UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2016, 7:52 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Radiophile----still going or gone?

It loads quickly, now.

David
Old 11th Dec 2016, 8:04 pm   #22
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Cannot load again here on fast fibre,I agree with Paul S that they should have done something before now after the horse has bolted so to speak.

Very odd all is well on FireFox but not Opera!
Old 11th Dec 2016, 8:14 pm   #23
Radio Wrangler

I don't suppose there is any value in keeping trying it. Best give it a couple of days. I don't suppose radiophile is the real target, just something else on the same server.

The BBC ran a story a couple of days ago that there was a hacker organisation offering prizes to anyone who took sites on a list down for a specified amount of time. The prizes were all malware creating tools.

Perhaps these people ought to be used in place of cute furry animals for pharmaceuticals and cosmetics testing. I wouldn't foresee any protest groups forming.

David
Old 11th Dec 2016, 8:53 pm   #24
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I enjoy too much and am very grateful to this forum to put my comments.
Old 11th Dec 2016, 9:17 pm   #25
GrahamN
Hexode

The hosting company has been very good until now - I've been using them for a number of sites without any serious issues, and being UK based means that I've always had a very fast response to any technical queries etc. I'm told they use Arbor Networks DDOS protection system, which is supposedly one of the premium methods of mitigating such attacks. If hackers are targetting the servers, though, it is very difficult to actually stop them. Fortunately (?) the Radiophile website is still very much a fledgling service, so non-availability is not anywhere near as serious as it would be to a totally internet based business (though then, of course you would expect a dedicated server).
Old 11th Dec 2016, 10:07 pm   #26
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamN View Post
Fortunately (?) the Radiophile website is still very much a fledgling service, so non-availability is not anywhere near as serious as it would be to a totally internet based business (though then, of course you would expect a dedicated server).
Bit a double edged sword. As has been mentioned, I doubt The Radiophile problems are more than collateral damage. It's unlikely they would be targeted if they had their own server.

In general terms though, it's hard to over emphasis the potential problems that increased online malevolence is causing economically, both directly and in terms of eroding confidence in on-line offerings
Old 11th Dec 2016, 10:31 pm   #27
GrahamN
Hexode

Quote:
It's unlikely they would be targeted if they had their own server.
Absolutely - much more likely the hosting company itself or perhaps another website. The cost of a dedicated server, though, is far too high (at least at this point in time). When I ran an ecommerce website a few years back, the server alone cost well over £3000 per year for a UK server. You need a pretty decent turnover / profit margin to seriously consider that sort of money!
Old 12th Dec 2016, 12:38 am   #28
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Another problem if your website is performing as badly as this over a few days it is likely to drop in Google's search results.

After this amount of downtime and grief you need to move hosts. Your current one have let you down badly.

You don't need a dedicated server (they are expensive as you say and cannot be justified for smaller sites), just a hosting company that are more proactive and responsive to DDoS attacks, and who have software and system that provide proper isolation between sites, as well as good monitoring to alert them quickly of any problems.

With the right server operating system, CloudLinux, an attack on one site cannot bring the server to its knees because resources are tightly limited and segregated - a site cannot have more than a certain amount of CPU resources, network bandwidth etc. CloudLinux also makes it impossible for a compromised site to affect any others.

From the website:

Quote:
CloudLinux OS is designed for shared hosting providers. It isolates each customer into a separate “Lightweight Virtualized Environment” (LVE), which partitions, allocates, and limits server resources, like memory, CPU, and connections, for each tenant. This ensures that tenants cannot jeopardize the stability of your servers, causing all sites to slow down or even come to a halt. CloudLinux OS also “cages” tenants from one another to avoid security breaches. This way, unstable scripts or malware are not able to sprawl across your customer sites, causing severe harm.
CloudLinux is essential for shared hosting IMO, and I wouldn't host anywhere that doesn't use it. Your host is probably running CentOS because they don't want to spend a few quid per server per month for CloudLinux.

They should also have a proper hardware firewall protecting each server, again cheapo hosts skimp on that and rely on firewall software on the server.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th Dec 2016, 2:52 am   #29
terry vin
Retired Dormant Member

Paul's post offers all the answers to your problems Graham. I would take on board all of this valuable information. Most forums don't give the "heads up" on best advice and Paul is to be congratulated on giving the correct course of action needed, regarding your current problems.

Terry.
Old 12th Dec 2016, 3:06 am   #30
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The site was slow to load again this morning but did eventually connect. Don't suppose many were trying to access at that time, it was around midnight your time.

Sam.
Old 12th Dec 2016, 4:22 pm   #31
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Paul is indeed to be thanked for so much help with this sort of thing. Sensible accurate advice while the rest of us curse at times!
Old 14th Dec 2016, 3:46 am   #32
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Here, here.

Sound advice always given and well received, thanks.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 11:42 am   #33
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Voice of experience!

Looks like it's back to normal now.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread