UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 20th May 2024, 4:59 am   #1
PaulE27
Pentode

Default Panasonic Euro 4 Problems

Hi

I have a Panasonic TX-24DX1 from about 2002, which I think has their Euro 4 chassis.

A few days ago the screen started flickering red. With no input (and just analogue snow) it was slight, and seemed to be localised (i.e. not the whole screen) but with a signal there it was much worse and white areas became bright pink. After the set had been on a couple of hours it seemed to get better, which made me wonder if it was dodgy soldering somewhere.

Anyway, it has now worsened and the entire screen is bright red, although you can see the moving outlines of green and blue behind it - just. I got out the soldering iron and tried resoldering all the components associated with the red gun on the PCB on the CRT base, but it didn't make any difference.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks,

Paul
PaulE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2024, 8:14 am   #2
1955APREN
Hexode

Default Re: Panasonic Euro 4 Problems

Please can you measure the voltage on the red cathode of the CRT and compare this reading with the ones on the blue and green. Also can you swap the leads on the CRT base the R-Y/ G-Y, with one another, is the fault still on the red or is it now very green?

Please report back.

Derrick
1955APREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2024, 8:30 am   #3
Michael Maurice

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but those CRT’s were notorious for gun failure. You may have a duff CRT

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Michael Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2024, 8:48 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, agree with Michael. All my Euro 4 sets eventually succumbed to CRT problems, after many years of utterly reliable service.
Nickthedentist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2024, 9:40 am   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Thirded, if that's a word!

As you've nothing to lose, it sometimes works to turn the TV upside down and give the tube neck a (reasonably gentle) tap when warm.
Apparently the guns droop with time, so reactivation doesn't really help.
Shame, but it has lasted far longer than most.
Old 20th May 2024, 11:29 am   #6
PaulE27
Pentode

Actually Fourthed! I can vaguely remember when the set was just outside warranty (so over 20 years ago) it did something similar, but I think it was green rather than red. The shop I bought it from said it was a manufacturing defect in the tube, and suggested I wrote to Panasonic to complain. Panasonic supplied a replacement tube FOC, and I only had to pay for it to be fitted. Oh well ....

I will turn it upside down though, and give it a tap.
PaulE27 is offline   Reply With Quote