UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 6th Feb 2024, 5:49 pm   #1
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Video sources for vintage sets

This probably straddles vintage TV and modern electronics, but I've placed it where I hope to get the most useful replies.

Does anyone know of a current production DVD player that has phono/RCA sockets (or possibly SCART connector for use with breakout leads) for L/R audio and composite video? In addition, a player that can be used in ZOOM mode (to crop left and right wide-screen content for our 4:3 sets) that doesn't leave "ZOOM" showing on screen when in use?

I have a great seven-year-old Toshiba SD1015KB DVD player with all these features that has packed up (video all broken and jumping) for use with my Aurora and Domino standards converters.

A quick visual check inside the player and reseat the internal connections, pressing the boards, etc. made no difference, so off to buy a replacement from a real shop - Hughes in Fakenham.

I managed to find a Panasonic S700 with the appropriate sockets but the ZOOM feature is left showing at the top of the screen. There is no setting to remove this - not even the Panasonic help line could help!

I swapped it for a cheaper Bush CDV 03965 with the same non-removable nuisance. Why would they do this?

This specific feature is probably not needed or noticed when used with modern TV sets but is quite irritating for us - well me anyway!

Looks like I'll have to dig about to find a pre-experienced Toshiba SD1015KB DVD player since it's been out of production for some time, as this is not the sort of thing you can easily check in the shop with different players - let alone when buying online!

Thanks.

Ian

PS: Hats off the Hughes of Fakenham. They had to find a TV and some leads to demonstrate my issue when I made the return, but were happy to refund me.
Ian - G4JQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2024, 6:46 pm   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Video sources for vintage sets

I think most on screen graphics are made to be permanent to remind the user that a particular mode has been selected. The only way to remove them apart from coming out of the particular mode would be to find the graphics chip within the device and obtain the data for it. Then study that data to see if there is a chip select pin, graphics on/off pin or similar.

Finding a new DVD with Scart will be like trying to find Rocking Horse Poo. Scart has not been fully supported for quite some time. You might be able to take a feed from a DVD to an older digi tv that has the Scart as well as RCA and use the throughput. If the tv has that facility.

There were 'break out' adaptor cables back in the day that had a Scart at one end and RCA at the other. Perhaps one of those cables might help with the required connections.

Dave
Old 6th Feb 2024, 7:13 pm   #3
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Thanks Dave.

Yes, I thought SCART, let alone RCA connectors were long gone on DVD players, so I was a bit surprised to find at least two current models having them, plus HDMI and USB sockets.

Pity about the irritating on-screen graphics though. The Bush player came from Argos, so that'll be going back too. It was obviously a previous return as the packaging was incomplete, protective film removed, with various scratches and signs of use when I got it home, but not sold as a second. But that's another story...

Ian
Old 7th Feb 2024, 9:27 am   #4
marceljack
Hexode

Hi,
Might be possible to find the output of the on screen graphics and cut the connection to the insertion point to the video ?
marceljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2024, 4:55 pm   #5
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
I have a great seven-year-old Toshiba SD1015KB DVD player with all these features that has packed up (video all broken and jumping) for use with my Aurora and Domino standards converters.
Ian, it's possibly a worn out laser unit but it might be worth trying to clean it. Also, the SMPS electrolytic caps are worth looking at for high ESR.

Regards,
Symon
Philips210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2024, 5:42 pm   #6
paulsherwin

It's easy enough to do conversion from HDMI to stereo/comp with one of the little converter boxes on eBay. The cheapest ones don't do the 16:9->4:3 zooming you want, so you should read the description carefully.

Alternatively, secondhand DVD players continue to be available for almost nothing because they don't have an HDMI output. Charity shops which sell electricals will usually have several for a fiver or so, or friends and family will often have a redundant one sitting around. It's not uncommon to find them dumped in skips or by the kerbside. The older they are, the more likely they'll have good support for viewing on a 4:3 display.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2024, 11:58 am   #7
jhalphen
Hexode

Hi to all,
Hi Ian-G4JQT,

similar thread about 4:3 & 16:9 display annoyances on US ARF TV section:

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...p?f=3&t=434928

Australian member Acornvalve (used to be Argus 25 here), advocates the use of Extron scalers which offer maximum flexibility in resizing/scaling features.
He gives a link to a cheap second-hand model which fits the bill (HDMI in & out).

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France
jhalphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2024, 3:41 pm   #8
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Thanks for the ideas. The easiest solution was - as suggested - just get a second hand one. The exact model on its way from eBay. I'll do some side-by-side tests and see if I can locate the fault.

Thanks again.
Old 10th Feb 2024, 5:16 pm   #9
jhalphen
Hexode

Hi to all
Hi Ian - G4JQT,

Glad! the ARF tips helped,

Hope you give us feedback (and maybe photos) once you've received the unit and had time to try it out. 4:3 & 16:9 management is a frequent issue (read annoyance) for vintage TV collectors.

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France
jhalphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2024, 6:24 pm   #10
Mr Hoover
Hexode

Quote:
Thanks Dave.

Yes, I thought SCART, let alone RCA connectors were long gone on DVD players, so I was a bit surprised to find at least two current models having them, plus HDMI and USB sockets.

Pity about the irritating on-screen graphics though. The Bush player came from Argos, so that'll be going back too. It was obviously a previous return as the packaging was incomplete, protective film removed, with various scratches and signs of use when I got it home, but not sold as a second. But that's another story...

Ian
If you search DVDPlayer on Amazon several models have
phono/rca video/audio out.
Mr Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2024, 6:42 pm   #11
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hoover View Post
Quote:
Thanks Dave.

Ian
If you search DVDPlayer on Amazon several models have
phono/rca video/audio out.
Indeed they have various DVD players with SCART and other useful phono/RCA connectors. But unfortunately they either don't deal well with different aspect ratios (leaving the image stretched or squashed whatever you select), or when a wide-screen image is zoomed in they leave a 'zoom flag' up on the screen.

I suspect it's the same chip set used by multiple manufactures, though why any think leaving it on screen is desirable is anyone's guess. One I had even left it in the centre of the screen with no way of removing it as far as I could tell, no matter how deep I went into the menus!

Ian
Old 21st Feb 2024, 7:49 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

First- and second-generation versions of the Playstation/Xbox can often be 'flashed' to let them work as non-region-encrypted media-players.

Even if you don't flash them, you can still use them for their original purpose!

[Why passively 'watch' the telly when you can actually interact with it in real-time?]