UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2023, 5:58 pm   #1
lloydwells
Heptode

Default Reel to reel video tapes question

I've slightly bought a national brand NV-3085 reel to reel video recorder I've noticed one of the reels on it is a Sony now from memory sony V32 reels come with a dramatic sticker about not playing it on other people's old tat sook is the Sony tape different can it be recorded on the Panasonic (national) or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230822_174720.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	283792  
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 10:23 pm   #2
phildil
Pentode

Default Re: Reel to reel video tapes question

Blimey. That's a colour portable (luggable) machine! It's EIAJ format. Does it work? it would originally have come with a camera, connectable via a multicore cable, and an external PSU for charging up the onboard VTR battery before going out on a shoot and for then playing back your recordings back at base.

There were at least two generations of the Sony videotape - the earlier type was designed for the skip field VTRs like the CV2000 etc, and later on when EIAJ came in they sold a "high density" tape in the same packaging but with a sticker on it. Anyway you'll probably find tape from that era is not much use now and will stick and shed all over your machine. As an alternative you can carefully rewind VHS tape onto half-inch spools, and use that instead. It works pretty well I find. The spools can be occasionally found online or can be 3D printed.

HTH
Phil
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 10:45 pm   #3
TIMTAPE
Nonode

In those early days the manufacturing tolerances were not always tight enough to successfully play a recorded tape on another player even of the same make and model! Yes there are problems with some tapes needing treatment before playing. These machines are old, complicated and will probably have multiple problems attended to to get them fully working.
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 12:19 am   #4
lloydwells
Heptode

If it doesn't work it soon will. Now the shedding tape problem I have some new sealed reals of V32 tape same spools in fact one of the spools on the machine is a Sony so I'll see how that goes. Ever tried warming it up a'la audio master tape before using it to see if stops it falling to bits.
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 9:20 am   #5
TIMTAPE
Nonode

Some years ago I transferred some Sony and Scotch b/w tapes on an original Sony machine, after having repaired the machine. Some tapes baked successfully. A couple didnt and squealed (stick slip). Sorry I dont recall which ones did which. A tape which sheds its oxide is usually in an advanced state of "sticky shed syndrome", has been been left for many years without recent treatment prior to playing.

I wouldnt attempt to play such a tape on any machine, especially a VTR with rapidly spinning heads. There's a risk for both machine and tape damage.

For testing the VTR mechanically I'd use a tape known not to have problems, even if as Phil says it's a VHS tape, although it's probably of thinner stock and more liable to stretching, creasing etc. Generally VHS tapes are not known to have binder issues.
Old 24th Aug 2023, 8:21 pm   #6
phildil
Pentode

Yup - I acquired a Sony EIAJ VTR a few years ago, in working order, with a few vintage Sony tapes. All of these exhibited the sticking and shedding symptoms described above. The advice to NOT play them is sound - they will clog up the delicate heads on your machine.

Out of interest I baked a couple of reels (this can be done in your actual domestic fan oven) and they then ran successfully, but since baking tapes is only ever a temporary fix, I'd not bother with the vintage stuff. Spool it off, throw it away and reload the reels with VHS or Betamax tape - it's thinner so care is needed - but the quality is way better.

cheers
Phil
Old 25th Aug 2023, 3:38 pm   #7
kan_turk
Hexode

All valid advice - baking tape was only ever intended to allow playback once in order to recover essential material and copy to other media - it was never intended to restore tape to normal use

Rgds to all
John
Closed Thread