UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2023, 11:54 pm   #1
Techman
Dekatron

Default Sharp 10P-35 portable TV with extras

I was given this last night, it came complete with a Wharfedale Linton complete Hi-Fi system, but that may be a topic for another thread. The word is clearly out there in the local radio world that I'll accept (almost) anything on the understanding that I can repair, use or scrap or otherwise dispose of said items. I've had to draw a line under radiograms, as I've got enough of them and would now only accept one if it was something particularly special - I've actually reluctantly refused one just recently.

My first reaction to the Sharp was that I would just scrap it for any useful parts, but I'm not sure looking at it today. It basically all works other than the tape deck, which will have long ago rotted out belts etc. The TV screen produces a bright raster when the brightness control on the back is held in a certain position. This could be a bad pot track, but I think it feels more like there's a broken solder joint to the PCB. I may try feeding it with a signal to see if it's capable of producing a locked picture.

I've not done any more with it, other than run the radio for a while, which does sound quite good on VHF/FM and in working stereo too. So the jury's out on this one at the moment, the most useful part that I can see if I scrap it being the seemingly fully in tact telescopic aerial, which is a part that'll always come in useful on portable radio restorations.

I did wonder whether the '10' in the model number indicated a ten inch screen size, but it's a nine inch, the same as my Ekco TMB, so who knows. There doesn't seem to be many of these about, so thought I'd give it its moment of fame - perhaps it has some value and I should try to sell it, although I'm not really a seller, but I am starting to get rather too much stuff just lately, so perhaps something to consider...it's all good fun, though - mostly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160294.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	283742   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160296.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	283743   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160297.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	283744  
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 12:21 am   #2
Jez1234
Banned

Default Re: Sharp 10P-35 portable TV with extras

Philips made a similar unit called The Cube. A friends parents had one in the kitchen when I was a young 'un. I have parts of the chassis of one actually...
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 1:57 am   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

The Cube was a real German Philips model, but more interestingly Philips also relabeled this and similar Sharp ghettoblaster TV models. I think 10TC3400.

The 10 does indeed refer to the 10" tube, which was the usual nomenclature to refer to a 9" visible diagonal (except in the US where consumer laws dictated that only the visible diagonal should be specified).
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 11:12 am   #4
hamid_1
Heptode

Don't scrap it! These retro boomboxes are quite collectable now. This model appeared in a music video a decade ago. Rizzle Kicks - Down With The Trumpets
In the video, it displays a colour picture which is impossible in real life - the CRT is monochrome.

I have one as well. Initial problem was the cassette belts had turned to tar - a messy job to clean up and replace. I've got everything working but there is one remaining fault. Hum on sound from radio and cassette when powered from the mains. The hum is not present on TV mode, nor when powered by external 12v supply. I've not been able to find the service manual or circuit diagram online. I think it was published in the Radio and Television Servicing 1981 volume. If anyone has the circuit, I'd be grateful.
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 12:27 pm   #5
Jez1234
Banned

I was amazed to be told by a customer a few years ago that the crappy Sharp ghetto blaster he'd brought in for repair was "worth" over £1000!! I wouldn't have paid £10 for it.
If ever there was a display of bad taste, bad styling and cheap and nasty then that was it... a total "plastic fantastic" nightmare! Complete with chrome effect plastic and flashing LED bar graphs etc.
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 1:34 pm   #6
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Very nice! They used to be everywhere, back in my early collecting years.. now they rarely turn up, and when they do they come up at silly prices… worth keeping it in one piece!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 5:03 pm   #7
jhalphen
Hexode

Hi to all,

Some of these combos had genuine colour sets, witness this Panasonic TC-300SP.
Found in France coming from Egypt!
Purchased by a friend, we helped him fix it. The power supply is original, the radio/cassette/amp has a mains transformer, the TV a switch-mode PSU.
TV standard is CCIR PAL B/G.
Note that radio has no VHF/FM band.

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Panasonic TC-300SP-01.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	283783  
Old 22nd Aug 2023, 6:04 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

Sharp also had a colour version of the above monochrome model. Philips also bought that model in from them.
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 2:56 am   #9
Techman
Dekatron

Lots of interesting info in the comments, thanks guys!

It's not going to be scrapped now.

So the '10' in the model number does in fact indicate a 10" tube - the visible screen does actually measure 9" diagonally. The tube (CRT) is a Sharp 240RB4.

Looking up the Philips 10TC3400 it pretty much looks like the same set, just with slightly more subdued styling and graphic adjusters behind the flap on the left hand side with the LED lights separately above. The full service manual is available for the Philips version, albeit in Dutch, which I suspect will basically cover the Sharp version. I could post the pdf of it on this thread, as it's not available 'up top' on this site, but it's easy enough to find via Google.

Rizzle Kicks - now there's a name that rang a bell (but didn't blow a trumpet) from the past. That video certainly gives the unit its 'street credibility' and its moment in time and history - I noticed that it had 27 million views and 11.5K comments! Interesting to note that at the beginning where the cassette was being inserted, the 'snow' on the screen looked to be the actual display produced by the set itself, after that it was the superimposed colour picture on the screen. Note the mains lead with plug being dragged along the ground, which it would do if like mine one of the cable storage hooks was broken off. This must be a weakness on these, as looking at another image of one on-line it also had one of the hooks broken off - shouldn't be too hard to replicate and repair if necessary. Great coloured seaside beach hut setting, though!

I think what we have to realise about units like this is that they are a consumer product that has to be made down to a price so that it's affordable for its target market. It's like a CB power supply that a member had in a recent thread, and he was going to upgrade the electronics within it and a couple of people described it as junk and rubbish, or words to that effect. However, that's missing the point. It's a consumer product made to a price for a particular market and use - it's not pretending to be a quality piece of test equipment, just a power pack for a particular use and a 'historical' item. There's nothing new about this, going right back to the first quarter of the last century, where some off brand acoustic gramophones could be about as nasty as it gets construction wise, going through to cheap live chassis radios with Bakelite, rather than wooden veneered cases, through to decades of cheaply constructed TVs with series heater chains and live chassis, just to cut costs for affordability to the target market.

I note that the colour National Panasonic set shown in a previous post has medium wave and two short waves, the Sharp has medium, long and VHF/FM radio.

Something that has since occurred to me is that this unit probably dates from 1981, so about 42 years old. In the picture it stands next to the Ekco, which is basically an earlier version of the same thing - there's about 25 years between them, not that long if you think about it. They are both portable TVs. They both have built in radios with VHF/FM. They are both portable with carry handles that run from both AC mains and also a 12 volt DC supply. Both of them don't have an internal battery and would need an external DC supply to be carried separately if run in this way. Both have mains isolation with a proper mains isolating transformer installed. The Ekco is all valve and Sharp is all solid state other than the tube. So to go back another 25 years from 1956 as with the Ekco then we'd need something similar from 1931. We can't go back quite that far, but we could argue that the pre war sets from the late 30s like the HMV 404/405 and Marconi 707, which are small table top TVs with built in radios, are actually a very similar idea, other than not having carrying handles or 12 volt capabilities - the one extra thing that the Sharp has, of course, is the tape recorder addition. What would be the next 25 year on similar item (if there is one) from the Sharp, it wouldn't really be 'vintage' unless it was still using a CRT for its picture display?

I opened the unit up today and blew the dust out of the innards. As shown in the first picture, you may be able to see that it was as I'd thought, broken solder joints on a couple of the pot connections to the board. As a service note from me, care must be taken when refitting the back cover that the printed circuit locates into both of the slots, if not, the back cover can't be seated fully and can potentially cause damage to those three rear controls - I think the back has been off at sometime before and that's what has caused that damage before the person realised their mistake.

I fed the set with a signal from a DVD player and after tuning in and adjusting brightness, contrast and frame hold, a perfect picture was obtained - shown below:-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1160299.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	283818   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160300.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	283819   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160312.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	283820   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160317.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	283821  
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 10:22 am   #10
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I do remember seeing these small Sharp 3 in 1 models and always thought they looked good, and performed well on all three functions. They were reliable as we did not see any in for repair.
The same could not be said about the the Philips Cube or the small 3 in 1 5" screen model from Plustron.
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 12:53 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember those telly/radio/cassette combos as being popular with my student friends in the late 70s, when living in digs or a hall of residence.

Easier to transport back and forth between home and uni each semester.

I had a Panasonic 505 'commando' rather with a separate cassette player.
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 1:20 pm   #12
Jez1234
Banned

That's a really Sharp picture

If it's anything like that ghetto blaster I mentioned then careful with the plastic as it goes very brittle over the years... not that there's much you can do to be careful I guess! Several of the holes for self tappers just crumbled away either when removing or replacing the screws and I ended up having to use glue here and there just to get it back together.
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 1:21 pm   #13
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
. What would be the next 25 year on similar item (if there is one) from the Sharp, it wouldn't really be 'vintage' unless it was still using a CRT for its picture display?
Here's one candidate. A friend has one of these, a boombox-dvd player with a small (5"?) colour CRT where the cassette usually is!

Back the the sharp. I picked one up of that model a few months back. It comes on, but pots crackle.No tape movement. I was, shall we say, disappointed to read that this is another tape mech with the dreaded Goo... looks like this will stay on the 'round to it' pile a while longer till I can face it!
Old 2nd Sep 2023, 10:59 pm   #14
hamid_1
Heptode

I've finally found the service manual online. It's for the German(?) version 10P-35G but should be mostly the same as the UK model. Main difference is the UK TV tuner is UHF only and 6MHz sound subcarrier.

https://archive.org/details/manual_10P35G_SM_SHARP

Hope this will help anyone restoring one of these in the future.

Anyway I'm pleased to hear this one will be saved. It's quite an iconic design that seems to appeal to a new generation of music fans, as seen in the video I mentioned earlier. Back in the early '80s there seemed to be a competition of who had the biggest, loudest, flashiest boombox. There were several with small 4 or 5 inch TVs built-in but Panasonic produced an even bigger version with a 12" screen: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/panaso...ereo_ra_2.html

Then a year ago I picked up a faulty Sharp colour TV radio cassette from a car boot sale: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sharp_..._c_1020ga.html
I'm not sure if it counts as a boombox; it's not stereo and can only be powered by mains or external 12v battery so not truly portable. I also have the Philips Tube Cube which fits into the same category. It's another classic design from the early 80s when the Rubik's Cube was the latest must-have toy. Philips also added a digital alarm clock (mains-powered only) so you could wake up to the newly-launched Breakfast TV broadcasts, or radio or tape. I've actually got two of these cubes, one made in Germany and one made in Taiwan. They were also marketed under the Pye brand in the UK. I suppose Philips must have switched production from Germany to Taiwan at some point.

I haven't come across the Philips 'clone' of the Sharp 10P35 in real life. It appears in Radiomuseum and on this site. It's very similar but not identical to the Sharp ; there are a few different features like Spatial Sound. There is a Philips colour model mentioned on the Wikiboombox website too, which I've never encountered either.
Closed Thread