UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2023, 12:45 pm   #1
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Philips N1500 VCR problem

Hi all,

I've recently come into possession of two N1500 VCRs, along with a large quantity of off air recordings made on these machines.

Both have had the usual drive belts turning to goo, head drive pulley system and pulley top gear problems fixed, but one of them has a fault whereby the head motor and capstan motor both don't spin when the VCR is powered on.

They're not seized and spin by hand fine.

The threading motor is fine though.

Was this a common problem on this series of VCRs?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated (I do have the service manual, but that is currently away with the other machine at a repair shop for a different fault to be repaired).

Many thanks

Last edited by Snarf81; 10th Aug 2023 at 12:57 pm. Reason: Info
Old 10th Aug 2023, 1:21 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N1500 VCR problem

You could wait until your good deck is back and try swapping modules?
Old 13th Aug 2023, 10:15 am   #3
Snarf81
Heptode

Thanks for the reply, Steve.
I think that'll have to be the case of swapping some modules over when I get the other VCR back. Hopefully it'll narrow the problem down somewhat

Thanks
Old 13th Aug 2023, 1:20 pm   #4
greg_simons
Octode

No operation of both drum/capstan motors suggests power fault, check all applicable power rails, there's a more in depth fault tracing procedure in the service manual sections 3a.
Greg.
Old 13th Aug 2023, 6:01 pm   #5
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply.

I found the fault about 30mins after posting earlier. It was one of the switches that sit on top of the head pulley/top gear plate. The mechanism was a bit gummed up after 40 years of being idle. A good clean and lubrication and the old girl fired right up. I also cleaned and lubricated the rest of the mechanism. So far it's been playing back tapes for a few hours without fault.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230813174205.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	283254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230813132448.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	283255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230813132452.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	283256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230813135909.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	283257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230813165044.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	283258  

Old 15th Aug 2023, 7:56 pm   #6
whaka54
Tetrode

ntsc ?
does vcr really had a ntsc variant somewhere ?
i know some philips branded cassettes were made in usa and sold in europe, but i'm not sure philips intended to do a ntsc variant of the vcr.
weird detail
Old 15th Aug 2023, 11:02 pm   #7
peterpixel
Pentode

I remember buying Norelco cassettes for use in Philips N1500 machines in sunny Salford in the !970s. Norelco being, if my memory is still ok, the American arm of Philips in the US. I have never come across an NTSC version of the N1500 in either hardware or even cassette form. I am interested to learn of the NTSC version of the N1500. Peter.
Old 16th Aug 2023, 8:04 am   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Richard, if you're not already aware of the technique, try loading high quality, late issue VHS tape into the 1500/1700 cartridges. When I was into vintage video I did that for 1500/1700, Beta and V2000. The improvement in video quality is nothing short of astounding. Almost like off air quality can be obtained.
Old 16th Aug 2023, 5:07 pm   #9
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi Steve,
I'll certainly give that a try! I'll have to fabricate a little jig to wind the new tape onto the old reel as I don't fancy faffing about spooling it 'by hand'. I've got some NOS late VHS cassettes here plus some tape end sensor foil I use for 8 track cartridges. It could be quite a good experiment. Thanks for the suggestion! The only thing I need to do to the 1500 now is to rewire the AV out din as there's separate pin connections for luminance and chrominance, as all I'm getting from the existing socket is black and white, so I'll combine the two onto one pin and I should get full colour.

Thanks!
Old 16th Aug 2023, 5:30 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf81 View Post
Hi Steve,
I'll certainly give that a try! I'll have to fabricate a little jig to wind the new tape onto the old reel as I don't fancy faffing about spooling it 'by hand'. I've got some NOS late VHS cassettes here plus some tape end sensor foil I use for 8 track cartridges. It could be quite a good experiment. Thanks for the suggestion! The only thing I need to do to the 1500 now is to rewire the AV out din as there's separate pin connections for luminance and chrominance, as all I'm getting from the existing socket is black and white, so I'll combine the two onto one pin and I should get full colour.

Thanks!
Yes, you do have to lash something together. I think I used my Makita drill and masking tape to hold the spool onto something in its chuck. You can just use a pencil or something for the other spool.
Old 16th Aug 2023, 6:03 pm   #11
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

I am sure I recall Phillips having a service depot at Glaisedale Drive in Nottingham in the mid to late 70's.

At the time my old service patch [for burglar alarms] was Notts. & Derby so boss asked me to collect spares for his VCR which may have been the same model & way beyond anything I could afford.

Rog
Old 16th Aug 2023, 9:00 pm   #12
marceljack
Hexode

Quote:
Hi Steve,
I'll certainly give that a try! I'll have to fabricate a little jig to wind the new tape onto the old reel as I don't fancy faffing about spooling it 'by hand'. I've got some NOS late VHS cassettes here plus some tape end sensor foil I use for 8 track cartridges. It could be quite a good experiment. Thanks for the suggestion!
It might also increase the record duration as these tapes are probably thinner than the original VCR tapes.

Quote:
The only thing I need to do to the 1500 now is to rewire the AV out din as there's separate pin connections for luminance and chrominance,
That was s-video long before S-VHS !
So if you have a TV with s-video input you might realise a DIN to mini DIN cord which would even give you a better colour picture (without cross colour).
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 2:15 pm   #13
Snarf81
Heptode

Quote:
The only thing I need to do to the 1500 now is to rewire the AV out din as there's separate pin connections for luminance and chrominance,
Quote:
That was s-video long before S-VHS !
So if you have a TV with s-video input you might realise a DIN to mini DIN cord which would even give you a better colour picture (without cross colour).
I wired both the luminance and chrominance onto one pin but got a lot of cross colour. Wired it back to the original, made up an S-Video to 6 pin din cable with audio and now the colour is fantastic. Very impressed with the picture quality on a tape recorded in 1973 (Chrysler UK training video on how to set up Webber twin carbs).

Next on my list is to spool some new VHS tape into a cassette and make some recordings via an RF modulator.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!
Old 25th Aug 2023, 6:03 pm   #14
peterpixel
Pentode

Glad you found a way to use both luminance and chrominance components without the patterning thanks to the development of SVideo. The method I used, way back in the mid 1970s, was a two stage amp for the chroma and adding this to the luminance signal. This was built on a small pcb and installed in a little plastic box with 6 pin DIN in and out. This obviously would give composite output and not SVideo which didn't exist at the time. I made and sold quite a few of these. Peter.
Closed Thread