UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2023, 5:24 pm   #1
CRavens
Diode

Default Thomson TTV 3575P - Betacam recorder - Uncentered Video

Hello,

I have been testing this deck lately and when I feed component video in the Thomson, the image is not centered vertically, it either appears with the bottom of the video in the middle of the screen and slowly moves down and centers like in 3 or 4 mins, to lose center again. However if I record the video to tape, the video is centered and perfect... I'm using a blackmagic hdmi-sdi, then another box from blackmagic sdi to component video, with a laptop. I wonder if the deck needs a sync signal, but this blackmagic setup doesn't have sync out... If i plug this setup on a sony pvm crt the image looks perfect, there's no vertical movement at all, so the deck is the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 10th Aug 2023, 9:17 am   #2
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: Thomson TTV 3575P - Betacam recorder - Uncentered Video

Try moving the PB/EE switch to its other position, you could also try looping the Y input signal to the Ref input. Too many years since I worked on kit like this, I’m hoping amtec123 may see your post -he has vastly more experience on this type of kit than me.
Old 10th Aug 2023, 10:07 am   #3
Amtec123
Pentode

Your Thomson Betacam is more or less identical to the Sony BVW-75p. The reason for the unlocked video o/p in EE is because the Timebase corrector has no reference. I agree entirely with red16v a quick method would be to un terminate the video input. Then loop (bridge) a cable from the lower socket to the Ref input and terminate it there, also switch Ref to External .
Old 10th Aug 2023, 12:11 pm   #4
Amtec123
Pentode

It is a long time ago, and sorry but I failed to notice you were using component rather than composite video. In that case use a BNC 'T' and loop the Y signal to Ref leaving Ref unterminated, as suggested by red16v. Also select Auto for Ref servo mode, as if Ext is selected in record mode the servo's will use that Ext Ref signal rather than video in. This will result in the replayed video being permanetly offset by the timing difference between the two signals.

The way these VTRs were normally configured was Ref set to Auto and locked with a colour black (sync's and burst) signal. This will give a locked EE and replayed signal, plus a correctly laid rf format in record.

Last edited by Amtec123; 10th Aug 2023 at 12:36 pm.
Old 10th Aug 2023, 12:21 pm   #5
CRavens
Diode

Hello, thanks so much for the replies. So the Y signal contains sync pulses? I have to test it as soon I get to the deck.

The other option would be using a black burst generator and a TBC, right? I would like record old non-broadcast sources like the Amiga, C64 etc, so I presume in the long run these are the parts to get? Also I want to sync a Flame system and other tape recorders.

I was getting the same problem when I connected by component a Sony UVW betacam player to the Thomson, what I did was sending a ref out from the Thomson to ref in to the UVW, then the rolling stopped, so it was clear that was a sync situation.
Old 10th Aug 2023, 1:31 pm   #6
CRavens
Diode

What do you think of this kit? Would this solve the sync of various machines and open the possibility to connect non-broadcast gear and record it perfectly?

A little off topic, what are those Svideo input/output on the TBC? They look quite different from the standard ones.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JV_FRONT.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	283053   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC_BACK.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	283054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black_Magic_Sync.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	283055  
Old 10th Aug 2023, 2:17 pm   #7
Amtec123
Pentode

Depending on which "TBC" / frame syncroniser you choose it may or may not be necessary to use a BB generator. The frame syncroniser you show might well provide a stable output, and does have a BB output but there are several things to consider. Most broadcast kit expects to see broadcast quality signals, and as such may have a very narrow operating window. Now you mention recording non broadcast sources such as early domestic computers etc, these will most certainly NOT be broadcast spec.

I'm afraid I cannot be more positive, so it will be a question of "try it and see".
Old 10th Aug 2023, 2:57 pm   #8
CRavens
Diode

Since we are dealing with old gear, i presume there aren't any brand new TBCs on the market today with Component, Svideo and composite? Otherwise it will be a try and see, because some of these old TBCs have a very high price, which doesn't help choosing. And yes that is a frame syncronizer, which is different from a TBC, but should hopefully do the job of adding non-broadcast vintage computers and whatnot. I guess I should read the return policy carefully before buying

Last edited by CRavens; 10th Aug 2023 at 3:08 pm.
Closed Thread