UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 22nd Jun 2024, 8:11 am   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Exercise Treadmill has Died

My exercise treadmill has died. I only use it in mid-winter and between the winter of 2022-23 and that of 2023-24, it ceased to work.

It was given to me back in the noughties when it was merrily tripping RCD’s. It was made by “Body Sculpture”, who are still around today, make quality stuff, and it was designed to be serviced/repaired. I found that the motor (100VDC) was shorting to earth and had destroyed the power FETs. Fortunately, they still had one replacement motor on the shelf, and with a couple of FET’s from eBay, I got it working again. I don’t know how I did that given the lack of any service data and my total lack of knowledge of what I guess is some sort of variable output SWPSU.

It is now totally dead. An ohmmeter on the 13amp plug shows it is completely open circuit. In the absence of any more info, would somebody like to make a best guess as to what has gone wrong? My only thought is that some electrolytics have deteriorated, but without a circuit diagram, where to start?

Thanks
B
Old 22nd Jun 2024, 7:46 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Exercise Treadmill has Died

I don't know how I can help, other than tell you about my own treadmill repair project back in 2017.

It is a Salus Sport X-Lite and must have been discarded by its owner due to motor failure, Its probably my best "skip-find" to date.

I found a replacement motor for £50 and decided it was worth replacing, but before I ordered it I thought I would strip it down and see what was causing the rough and hot running.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RM2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	299440

You can see the excess plastic that had migrated with the heat and was fouling the rotor.
I carefully removed it with a file and afterwards it ran as "sweet as a nut".

As always I took pictures for future reference.

Here's the main power board

Click image for larger version

Name:	RM1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	299439

There is a soldered in 22mm glass fuse in the top left corner, maybe yours has one too, also check if there's a common-mode choke in the mains input thats gone o/c.
Graham G3ZVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2024, 10:11 am   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Exercise Treadmill has Died

Hi,
I was given a treadmill by a neighbour. It tripped the RCD as soon as it was plugged in and had me puzzled for ages.
It turned out to be the plastic encapsulated bridge rectifier that was bolted tightly to the heat sink had leakage from a tiny crack inside the mounting hole to the securing screw.
Said screw was removed and the rectifier was secured with a cable tie and a small square of insulating thermal transfer material.
It now works OK and I really must use it more than I do.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 23rd Jun 2024, 1:37 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Yes, as long as people are giving them away, getting them going is very pleasing. It's just very annoying that mine has now failed again.

Something is very odd; the neon lamp on the mains rocker switch is not lighting up, but there appears to be continuity of the mains L & N to the switch and the switch does work. It may be that power is not even getting to the control board. I need to do more dismantling to gain further access. Might still get away with finding a simple fault .

B
Old 23rd Jun 2024, 4:31 pm   #5
ex 2 Base
Heptode

If you have Variac and a 400 volt bridge rectifier you could test the motor in isolation, good enough to establish if it is the motor or the controller.
ex 2 Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2024, 1:27 am   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Yes, I do have an 8amp Variac, so could test the motor. But... unlike the original problem many years ago, it's not tripping RCD's or blowing fuses, it's just totally dead! Nothing lights up. Until I figure why the neon on the rocker switch is not lighting I'm ...in the dark. Problem is that it's located in the spare bedroom which is packed with junk, so I need to clear some space to think about turning it on to its side. Whatever notes I may have made about the original repair work have gone missing , cannot even recall how you start to get internal access.

B
Old 24th Jun 2024, 3:41 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I used to find if the motor turned slowly on a car battery it was probably OK. Hopefully this time it will be a simple fault once you've opened it up.
Old 24th Jun 2024, 11:02 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

first thing is to check if the lack of switch illumination is a clue or a red herring. No harm linking the switch out as a test.
Some treadmills have a thermal breaker button that can pop out underneath or at the back, the ones I've seen are in series with the mains to the pcb.
Old 25th Jun 2024, 5:55 am   #9
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I've just checked the neon on the switch (with the switch removed, powering it up on my Variac) and that is working. Given what I said about continuity from the mains socket on post#4, it's not obvious why the neon does not come on when it is in the treadmill.

There is some type of overload trip (circuit breaker or thermal trip) and that is in its pushed in position, but whereas I managed to get the rocker switch out just by prising it from the outside, I doubt I can this trip out from the outside.

But at least it looks like there could just be a "simple" problem somewhere between the mains lead and the electronics board(s) and yes I have checked the fuse in the 13amp plug . Getting inside will still be a pain!

B
Old 25th Jun 2024, 8:29 am   #10
McMurdo
Dekatron

You have continuity from the plug pins right through to the neon rocker but it doesn't light. What's the difference between testing the neon on the bench and when it's clipped in the machine? Is it possible there's a break in the mains lead such that it buzzes through when you have it it your hand but when you move it to the wall socket it's going open?

I would try running a seperate mains supply to the wires that come out of the rocker and see if the treadmill powers up ok from there.
Old 25th Jun 2024, 10:01 am   #11
wave solder
Heptode

I've had switches where the neon glows but the switch is not making contact, the neon often gets its power from the rocking contacts inside the switch and not the terminals going to the load.
wave solder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2024, 1:12 pm   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If you've managed to get the switch out it will be a trivial job to hard wire the mains to the machine's input as the terminals will be easily accessible as Kevin suggests. Then you'll knnow the amount of disassembly you'll need to do - hopefully not much.
Old 25th Jun 2024, 4:02 pm   #13
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I would try running a seperate mains supply to the wires that come out of the rocker and see if the treadmill powers up ok from there.
Yes, I think that's the last thing I can do before I have to do some major disassembly.

I seem to recall that the belt needs to be taken off to get at the electronics - do wish I could find whatever notes I made last time.

B
Old 27th Jun 2024, 7:51 pm   #14
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

I know this sounds flippant and it’s not meant that way, but, have you checked that the emergency stop clip is pushed fully in ?
ekcopyephilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2024, 7:23 am   #15
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcopyephilips View Post
I know this sounds flippant and it’s not meant that way, but, have you checked that the emergency stop clip is pushed fully in ?
Not flippant , yes, I've given that a good wiggling.
B
Old 28th Jun 2024, 9:21 pm   #16
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcopyephilips View Post
Not flippant , yes, I've given that a good wiggling.
B
On the same subject, one thing that nearly summed me was the tethered "Emergency Stop" magnet which was missing from mine.

Fortunately I had seen the reed switch on the control panel PCB, and guessed what it was there for, and made my own magnet-on-a-string.
Graham G3ZVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2024, 7:57 pm   #17
The Philpott
Dekatron

Talking of thermal switches, there could be a one-shot thermal fuse somewhere (typically a red hockey puck or a black box) such as you'd find strapped to the motor of a desk fan. If one of these blows it doesn't bode well.

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote