UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 31st Jan 2024, 6:40 pm   #1
Makeitworkshop
Diode

Default Quantel v-Series Paintbox

I have recently volunteered at a local Community Interest Company which supports the local community. The company isn't funded but raises money by selling through their bricks and mortar shop and online through eBay.

A couple of days ago I found a Quantel V-Series unit with Graphics tablet, keyboard, stylus, rat and assorted original cables. I am posting to ask advice on how much we should list this item for sale.

The unit powers up but without a monitor I do not know if it is boots without errors, there is no power to the graphics tablet and so cannot test the keyboard or rat but both look in good condition. The stylus is damage but seems usable. The address on the packaging shows it originated from BBC Pebble Mill.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Last edited by Makeitworkshop; 31st Jan 2024 at 7:01 pm.
Makeitworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2024, 7:05 pm   #2
wave solder
Heptode

Default Re: Quantel v-Serise Paintbox

Maybe drop member Dexterslab a DM although they have not shown any activity on here for some time. Otherwise contact them via YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/@DextersTechLab
wave solder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2024, 12:11 pm   #3
Makeitworkshop
Diode

Thank you for the advice
Old 6th Feb 2024, 3:52 am   #4
Chris N6TAN
Diode

I know these units well as I worked for Quantel for many years in the southern California area and dealt with the V-Series Paintbox during its commercial lifetime, about 1990 to the early 2000s or later. As they are standard definition only they now have limited commercial value but there are a number of Quantel enthusiasts who are interested in owning and using these. It's hard to say how much it's worth, there were quite a few different versions produced over the years, some more valuable than others. Pictures of the front and back could help narrow down the exact type somewhat. Faulty units have sold between about $600 and $1400, a fully operational one recently sold for 2000 pounds in the UK and one sold for $3850 in the US which seems rather high to me!
Apart from connecting a monitor (RGB or Yuv) you will probably need to connect a terminal, ie a laptop running teraterm or whatever via an RS232 cable to the serial A 9-pin diagnostic port on the back to see the boot up and diagnostic log from the CPU. (N,8,1, 19200 baud is default).
In theory it should boot up without the tablet connected. There should probably be a rectangular interface box that the tablet, keyboard, rat and the power supply plug into. This arrangement varied over the years though. The tablet might have the model version on it.
There's a good chance if it hasn't been powered up for a long time that the non-volatile (battery backed up) RAM will have failed and the internal real time clock will have also failed. Then it will say "This software not designed to run on this machine!" on the picture monitor. Setting the clock via the diagnostic terminal will fix this unless the NVRAM has other problems, then it gets more complicated!
So unless it bursts into life right away, it may be easier to sell as is, not working. Say ask 1000 pounds maybe? eBay would be the place to list it though.
Also you may want to look into the provenance of the unit just to make sure there are no legal issues as it came from the BBC and you'd be selling it as a company.
DextersTechLab would be your best source for UK based tech support, he has extensive experience with these and other Quantel products!
Chris N6TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2024, 11:33 pm   #5
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've got a book on Television Graphics written in the 1980s which features a few title sequences, logos graphics etc produced on a Paintbox when it was a state of the art device.
Old 13th Feb 2024, 5:20 pm   #6
Makeitworkshop
Diode

I appreciate the detailed reply. I will pass on your advice to the person who purcahsed the unit.

Quick update. The unit sold within half a day of posting. Thanks for all the help and advice.