UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 24th Jan 2024, 7:57 am   #1
John10b
Nonode

Default TV Show "David and Jay's Touring Toolshed".

I wonder if any one saw the new tv show last night, Tuesday 23rd January, with David Jason, I only caught part of show, they were talking to Frank ?, in his old BBC TV mobile unit?
John
John10b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 10:07 am   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: TV Show "David and Jay's Touring Toolshed".

I saw part of that as well. There was a second BBC OB van parked next to the main one in the video.
vidjoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 10:25 am   #3
Ian Blackbourn
Triode

Steve Harris is the man who owns the OB truck. He has dealt in vintage technology for quite a long time as On The Air Ltd, nowadays I think he makes more money from hiring out vintage radios, TV's etc to film and tv companies.

Steve produces a magazine ( 3 times a year) called (Airwaves) which usually has an article referring to work on the OB trucks (he has another one!).

Long may he prosper!

Ian
Ian Blackbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 12:41 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'd missed this John, even though the OB truck was flagged up in Radio Times [and repeated this morning at 7-30am]. Just watched it on I-player. There was a bit of the usual comedy for the camera with the OB one and what the program makers were filming themselves but I thought it was quite good and all well explained by Mr Harris. What David Jason said at the end should resonate with this site. He was very sincere and respectful when talking about the amount of knowledge Steve had aqquired and was now trying to retain [Steve's only explanation for doing what he did] but it's in line with the Forum Archive and all the invaluable info there]. I'd followed the story [via various mags] when he was really struggling to get that semi derelict "bus " out of the mud, out of Devon and under restoration. It was a really mammoth task!

I'd spoken to him by phone at one point, via a particular set and I used to pick up "Air Waves" at Rallys. When the Manchester Oxford Road site was being cleared they held an Auction of contents and we were both there but sort of under cover in a way! It was supposed to be open to staff only but my friend on loan from BH, showed her pass. [I feigned reluctance in favour of the pub!]. We bought very little in fact. A few days later Steve appeared live on the local TV news [BBC of course] at 6-30pm parked in the yard with his vehicle. I was a student in the street next door during the seventies [near "The Lass of Gowrie"] so I saw the BBC Centre being built and it's eventual demise. A lot of people were very unhappy about the move to "Media City" at that point.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Jan 2024 at 1:01 pm.
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 12:47 pm   #5
Station X

Is anyone going to tell us the name of the TV show?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 12:53 pm   #6
vidjoman
Dekatron

David & Jays touring toolshed. Episode 2 has the OB van.
vidjoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 12:54 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Oh yes it's "David and Jay's Touring Toolshed" Graham. The content seems better than the title but maybe not? BBC2 2/15. Mondays [1/5] was at the Midlands Airshow. Thurday's features the "fastest shed" !!!

Dave W SNAP!

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Jan 2024 at 12:59 pm.
Old 24th Jan 2024, 12:57 pm   #8
Station X

Thread title updated.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 3:15 pm   #9
its ur aerial
Hexode

I for one was most impressed with Steve's OB Van and all the Equipment, bloke deserves a Medal.
Ken G6HZG.
Old 24th Jan 2024, 3:21 pm   #10
John10b
Nonode

I fully agree, I only caught last part, sorry Steve for getting your name wrong, I don’t know why I thought it was Frank?
I shall watch the full show on catch up.
John
John10b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2024, 8:21 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Without being too pedantic it's actually "David and Jay" as in my post 7*. I'd wondered about it myself and checked the Radio Times, as well as the I Player but it's obviously "Age before Beauty!". [There was a lot of "Oh you're too young" banter aimed at Jay during the program]. Coincidentally Tractor Fan has posted [at 5-30pm today] another very OB related thread "I Found This Very Interesting" [it's in in Websites] at 5-30pm. It's a You Tube Link and is well worth a look!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Jan 2024 at 8:46 pm.