UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2021, 12:21 pm   #1
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Bonding acrylic to other materials?

Tricky. Two part epoxy doesn’t bond to it, it just peels off in a clean layer.

I’m also trying to bond it to fibre-glass braided sleeving.

Suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 17th Jan 2021, 12:32 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Bonding acrylic to other materials?

I'm not sure what bond strength you're needing but I'd have thought that if the acrylic is strongly scuffed and scoured that epoxy would easily bond it to fibreglass. Obviously not so if it's highly polished.
Old 17th Jan 2021, 1:09 pm   #3
Vintage_RC
Heptode

I would look at one of the Structural Acrylic Adhesives.
Old 17th Jan 2021, 1:48 pm   #4
WME_bill
Octode

The usual adhesive for perspex acrylic is Tensol, made by Bostick.
It is a paste consistency of methylene chloride or chloroform with dissolved perspex. Works very well and I suspect the added perspex would serve to gum over your braided sleeving.
From Radiospares or on ebay. I have used it on damaged car light reflectors and number plates and bits of test equipment.

I used to use methylene chloride alone but it will soften almost any plastic surface and is not a nice solvent to handle - fumes. Used for dissolving off glues / resins / araldite for china repairs and restoring. Was the base of the original Nitromors paint remover which really worked, but now only obtainable by searching "industrially".

Tensol is said to be carcinogenic (as most chemicals seem to be now-a-days), so handle with gloves. And you will have to buy "industrially", not as a householder (in case you drink it).

You may find it worth while getting some isopropyl alcohol (propanol) for cleaning the surfaces as well. May be more difficult now as propanol is also used nowadays for killing Covid surfaces.

Try a search also for the PERSPEX HANDBOOK, I don't know who issued it, but contains useful information. Tensol 70 by Bostick.
wme_bill
Old 17th Jan 2021, 4:40 pm   #5
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Tensol is a solvent adhesive containing chloroform for Perspex (acrylic), it won't bond acrylic to other materials. The OP is also trying to bond it to fibre-glass braided sleeving.
Old 17th Jan 2021, 4:50 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

Small (57ml) bottles of methlyene chloride are sold for making for plastic model kits under the name "E.M.A. Plastic Weld". I have been getting my supplies from a stand at the local annual model railway exhibition, but I have seen it in shops that sell model railway stuff. I have also bought 57ml bottles of genuine methyl ethyl ketone from the same sources. I recall that there used to be a solvent for plastic kits called "Mek-pak" that stressed that it did not contain methyl ethyl ketone, but I haven't seen it for a while. I understand that the fumes from these solvents can be hazardous, especially for smokers: possibly sale in small quantities is permissible?

Last edited by emeritus; 17th Jan 2021 at 4:52 pm. Reason: Typos
Old 17th Jan 2021, 5:36 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Have you considered treating this as a 2-stage process?

Initially, use an aggressive solvent [Acetone?] to soften the surface of the acrylic and then mechanically abrade it - 'stir it up a bit' with a sharp seeker/probe. Then you will have a 'key' for your later adhesive to bond-to.

Something similar was done to bond a single sheet of acrylic [about 2-foot-square] to the front of a control-panel for use in sewage-farms (ugh!). the acrylic was masked and the exposed parts then etched with the solvent before bonding with a cyanoacrylate-type adhesive. Big problem was getting the bubbles out from the bond.
Old 18th Jan 2021, 10:01 am   #8
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
... I’d have thought that if the acrylic is strongly scuffed and scoured that epoxy would easily bond it to fibreglass. Obviously not so if it's highly polished.
Good idea, Steve. I’ll try that, abrading the acrylic surface somewhat first.

Also thanks to everyone else.

Tensol is a horrible compound but it definitely does what it should- bond acrylic to acrylic. It doesn’t bond to other materials.
Old 18th Jan 2021, 11:44 am   #9
The Philpott
Dekatron

Al, If you have a test piece available hot-melt glue stick could be tried. The bond i made between PA6 (Nylon) and an unknown plastic (!) still holds firm.

Dave
Old 18th Jan 2021, 11:50 am   #10
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
...hot-melt glue stick could be tried. The bond i made between PA6 (Nylon) and an unknown plastic (!) still holds firm.

Hi Dave, thanks for the tip!

I like this idea. I'm sure it will be plenty strong enough, I'll try it out.

Cheers