UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2017, 8:12 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Prolonging the life of a Magic Eye.

Backstory: I've dug out of my collection a Pye PCR that's at some time been retrofitted with a magic-eye tuning indicator (an ex-military VI103 to be precise). This will become my "kitchen radio" for the next few months, largely to be used on shortwave.

This 'eye' is still rather heathy and green - I want to preserve this so was wondering about switching it off when not actually tuning the radio.

The obvious thing being to remove the HT from the target so it's no longer being bombarded - I'm thinking about fitting a microswitch to the "tuning lock" lever so when the tuning's locked the eye is deactivated.

Which got me thinking - it'd be a SPCO microswitch - should I wire it to earth the target (or connect it to the cathode, which sits a few volts above earth because of its bias resistor) when the eye is off?

Or leave the target floating?

I was always taught that bad things can happen if you leave any valve electrodes floating.
Old 4th Feb 2017, 8:44 pm   #2
n_r_muir
Hexode

Default Re: Prolonging the life of a Magic Eye.

Hi,

how about switching the heater off?
Old 4th Feb 2017, 9:23 pm   #3
Andrew2
Nonode

Doesn't running the heater with no HT applied risk poisoning the cathode?
Old 4th Feb 2017, 9:31 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

I have a tape recorder (EM34 Magic eye), on playback the HT is removed but heater left powered.

The recording head is quite worn - it's had a lot of use! - but the eye is still bright. And I know it has never been replaced, as my father bought it new.

Hopefully this answers your question!
Old 5th Feb 2017, 12:56 am   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got an AC resistance bridge that has an EM34 and it has a switch to extinguish it.
I aught to be looking for a cap decade box to make it more useful to me.
It leaves the heater on. This it a later model addition as all the circuits on the web do not show the switch.

Last edited by Refugee; 5th Feb 2017 at 12:58 am. Reason: To add heater comment
Old 5th Feb 2017, 4:32 am   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

As you only need the eye whilst tuning I have thought about putting in a proximity detector near the tuning knob to only enable the full HT when a hand is near the control. Leaving a few volts of HT on should avoid cathode poisoning.
Replacing EM80 and EM81 with a EM87 is also a possibility, they last much better, never seen a dead one.
The EM84SS is an interesting alternative, I have all the bits, must get on and do it one day.
Old 5th Feb 2017, 8:07 am   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

In the Leak Trough Line tuners (at least the Trough Line 3), the magic eye (EM84) is turned on when you switch the AFC off. The idea is that you turn off AFC to tune it, the eye comes on and when you have tuned it, you turn on AFC. The manual suggests this is to reduce burning of the magic eye phosphor.

From memory, the switch simply removes the HT+ from the magic eye target. But I am sure the circuit is on-line somewhere if somebody wants to check.
Old 5th Feb 2017, 8:56 pm   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

I wouldn't have thought that removing HT from the target would do any harm. The triode part would still be operating. It's the target that degrades with use. I have several very dim EM34's that test good for actual gain but just don't display very well.
Old 5th Feb 2017, 11:50 pm   #9
kalee20
Dekatron

True, although the triode and the eye-part often draw current from different parts of the cathode. And in any case, the aforementioned tape recorder switches HT off the whole caboodle, and it doesn't seem to have poisoned the cathode - rather, the thing still lights up very well!
Old 6th Feb 2017, 7:55 pm   #10
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
In the Leak Trough Line tuners (at least the Trough Line 3), the magic eye (EM84) is turned on when you switch the AFC off. The idea is that you turn off AFC to tune it, the eye comes on and when you have tuned it, you turn on AFC. The manual suggests this is to reduce burning of the magic eye phosphor.

From memory, the switch simply removes the HT+ from the magic eye target. But I am sure the circuit is on-line somewhere if somebody wants to check.
I have a Leak Trough Line Tuner, and the EM84 in it is just as bright as another EM84 that I have which has only seen very limited use.

Yes the AFC switch removes the HT from the EM84 when turned on.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 7:59 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
Doesn't running the heater with no HT applied risk poisoning the cathode?
From whjat I've been able to determine, "magic-Eye Death" is all about loss-of-fluorescing of the target not cathode-emission.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 8:01 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_r_muir View Post
how about switching the heater off?
While sensible in theory, it would be a spectacular pain to have to switch-to-tune and then wait 10 seconds or so before the tuning-eye was ready. TBH I'd be worried about the stress repeatedly power-cycling the heater would cause!
Old 6th Feb 2017, 8:05 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
As you only need the eye whilst tuning I have thought about putting in a proximity detector near the tuning knob to only enable the full HT when a hand is near the control. Leaving a few volts of HT on should avoid cathode poisoning.
Replacing EM80 and EM81 with a EM87 is also a possibility, they last much better, never seen a dead one.
The EM84SS is an interesting alternative, I have all the bits, must get on and do it one day.
The PCR already has something better than a 'proximity-detector' in the form of the aforementioned tune/lock mechanism. You flick it to tune, tune the station, then when it's tuned you flick to 'lock' and then the tuning-capacitor's mechanically clamped.

A thin bit of springy metal can easily be fitted to convey the tune/lock-mechanism status, and so shut-down the Eye when it's not needed.
Closed Thread