UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2021, 2:18 pm   #1
Northyorks1
Heptode

Default Ear Radio-Packagram service sheet

I have just bought this model, but can only seem to find a one page schematic. Does anyone know of a more detailed service manual. Upon opening it is not very obvious how chassis is removed. I bought it as record player working but radio not, I notice it has the AF117 transistors, using all my skills and expertise I gave them a tap and a poke and radio sprung in to life. With my expertise now all used up, I am now stumped on how to remove chassis. I bought this model because it was in very good cosmetic condition, but on taking base panel off to access batteries I have found that the base panel is badly damaged due to damp, not mentioned when bought! Any tips on how to delicately remove material from panel without damaging it.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ear 1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	241429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ear 2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	241430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210916_122752572.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	241431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210916_123324344.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	241432  
Old 16th Sep 2021, 5:44 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Ear Radio-Packagram service sheet

Just a guess, but that mix of batteries may be the reason for the apparent damp damage. It's a recipe for disaster. The Kodaks at least may well be reverse polarised in that stack.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 6:14 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Given their track record, I wouldn't rule out the Duracells

You should be able to fabricate a new bottom panel from hardboard or thin plywood.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 8:29 pm   #4
Northyorks1
Heptode

Good point Bill, batteries were in player when opened, so don't know how long they have been there. Yes Paul I am planning to replace the board, just wary of damaging the material.

Ian
Old 17th Sep 2021, 8:54 am   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's not "dampness" as you might know it - just battery leakage. I would not replace the origignal base at all, but just give it 2 coats of Wood Hardener. Check for corrosion around the battery terminals as well.
Old 17th Sep 2021, 1:54 pm   #6
Northyorks1
Heptode

Thanks for advice Edward, on closer inspection the leakage has penetrated all the way through the board to the material on the other side, and is just crumbling when touched as it is still very damp. Probably only option is to replace the board, problem being removing material without damaging it. Checked the terminals and one is corroded.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210917_133858582.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	241490  
Closed Thread