UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2017, 11:50 am   #1
chriswood1900
Octode

Default What colour would a Navy box be?

I’m in the process of repairing an Admiralty pattern Avo 2 panel tester which has its original box, which was in a poor state and had previously been badly painted. It is now stripped back glued back together and repaired. It is currently in Grey primer and I would like some advice on what the correct colour to finish it should be.
It appears they were in either BS381 697 light Admiralty Grey or Dark Grey 632 probably with a satin finish, I deduced this from another Navy spares box I have which was in better condition.
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris
Old 5th Sep 2017, 2:01 pm   #2

Default Re: What colour would a Navy box be?

Having done stuff for the Navy it seems to be...
Outside small, gloss.
Outside large (the ship) satin, brush paint, light or dark, depends on operating area.
Inside fixed, light satin. (it can get very dark in the bowels of a ship and less glare)
Portable, light gloss (a harder finish and you can see it)

Closed Thread