UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2019, 2:51 pm   #101
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Is Ever Ready still a part of your life?

re #90. I had one of those, really solid and well-made. Unfortunately I lost it and wasn't able to find another one.

I remember the 3V batteries that contained two AA-sized pen cells. In the mid-1950's I had got a Christmas present that needed two pen cells side-by side, and the lady in Boots had no singles in stock but showed us how to break the 3V one in half. They were I think designed for the torches that looked like fat pens. I did have one at one time, long since gone. They also did 3V and 4.5V batteries consisting of two or three U2 ("D") -sized cells in a cardboard tube. Never seen one in the flesh, but they were shown in a pre-war battery catalogue that someone had at work.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 6:32 pm   #102
Gulliver
Hexode

As far as I recall, The British company was set up by the American parent company and became independent a few years later with manufacturing facilities in England and Ireland.

I remember in the 70s and 80s "Ever Ready" batteries with the BEREC (British Ever Ready Company) logo were ubiquitous. Certainly almost all my toys and portable audio devices and games were powered by Ever Ready blue batteries and later Silver Seal. I never recall a Silver Seal battery leaking, and occasionally I come across them in stuff I buy used sometimes 20 years beyond their expiry date and still working!

Many years later, possibly as late as the 90s, the US company bought the UK arm back and eventually closed the British factories. I believe both US and UK "Eveready/Ever Ready" companies are now owned by Energizer?

One can still buy Eveready branded batteries in the UK, presumably manufactured by or for Energizer? They seem to be positioned low in the market. At times I have ordered them at work, mostly PP9 for multimeters.

Ah but I remember every kid had a bike with an Eveready light on the front, and blue Eveready batteries inside. It was years before I knew AA, C and D as cell cizes....I used the Eveready designations as did my friends. Eveready torches were everywhere, and most shops sold just two brands of battery/cell....Eveready and Duracell.
Old 8th Mar 2019, 7:28 pm   #103
19Seventy7
Octode

I have two Ever Ready products; A plug, used on my Colour TV set, and a rechargable battery pack used in my portable 3-in-1 TV, which i guess is from the late 70s - 80s, which still works, but not often used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	640C7309-6B42-4EC8-A4B7-4EAAFC56745E.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	179606   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	179607  
Old 31st Aug 2019, 4:12 pm   #104
Wellington
Hexode

Smile Re: Is Ever Ready still a part of your life?

Here is my grandfather's Ever Ready torch that has come down to us.

The switch must have been replaced at some stage, though I've always known it with the toggle switch shown. Now fitted with a LED 'bulb' and lithium ion batteries (from an abandoned project of my father's), it works very well. The switch, though rather prominent, never seems to get in the way and operates with a satisfying, resounding 'click'!

I have another, more modern, Ever Ready torch somewhere. Also a 'Handylight' in red, as mentioned by KeithsTV and ThePillenwerfer. If I dig them out I'll take a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torch1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	189225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torch2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	189226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torch rear.jpg
Views:	83