UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2016, 9:43 am   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Use of the Vintage Radio Service Data DVD-ROM

I have had a copy of this DVD for a number of years now and the CD based version that preceded it. It is one the most useful resources, if not the most useful resourse, supporting my interest in vintage radio.

I bought it, of course, to give me access to service information on my collection of 100 or so sets, but its value goes beyond its usefulness as a service aid.

I often look at sets for sale on line, in particular on eBay, not usually with a view to purchase (I have enough sets already) but just to see what is out there. If I see something unusual or something that interests me for some other reason, there is a very good chance there is information on it on the ROM.

The other use I get from it is in my attempts to help other forum members with problems with their sets. Having access to so many circuits makes it so much easier to help.

I suspect many of you out there get much more than expected out of this wonderful resource, true?
Old 18th May 2016, 9:53 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Use of the Vintage Radio Service Data DVD-ROM

I agree.

I have the original CDs (including the later update one), but the data has been copied to my PCs for easy access and safekeeping.

If data proves hard to pinpoint, I find that searching for it using the online index accessed via the ad at the top right of each forum page often helps point me to the right PDF.

N.
Old 18th May 2016, 10:08 am   #3
Cobaltblue

I must admit I don't know what I did before I bought mine well actually I do remember I searched through a very full 4 drawer filing Cabinet though original and becoming more flimsy by the day service info

It's excellent value for money.

Having scanned service data myself I know just how much work scanning that lot in was!

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th May 2016, 10:14 am   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Nick,

If you copy the index, along with the data, to your hard drive you should be able to find the right pdf very easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	124640  
Old 18th May 2016, 10:16 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks for the tip, Colin, I will look into that.

ISTR running into problems though because I just bought the update CD rather than started afresh with the full, new DVD.

I bought the CDs just before I joined the forum, so I must have had the use of this excellent resource for over 11 years now. How time flies!

N.

P.S. Is there much on the BVWS Trader Sheet disc that's not on Paul's disc?
Old 18th May 2016, 10:23 am   #6
Andrewausfa
Octode

When I started really getting interested in this I found it incredibly useful. Someone would write on the forum, for example, 'Yes, it's a bottom end coupled aerial circuit' or what have you and I'd wonder what that actually meant. Referring to the service information on the DVD for the specific set mentioned and then comparing it to other sets made things clear particularly in conjunction with Miller/Spreadburys Radio Circuits Step-By-Step book(s).

Even if uninvolved in the discussion, I like following any serious faultfinding of sets via the relevant service sheets as I nearly always learn something.

Super resource and I genuinely feel the money on both this and the valve DVD was well spent.

Andrew
Old 18th May 2016, 1:18 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
If you copy the index, along with the data, to your hard drive you should be able to find the right pdf very easily.
Yes I always recommend doing that, and making a couple of copies in different places. It makes the data much quicker to access and also means you have another copy should the DVD become unreadable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
P.S. Is there much on the BVWS Trader Sheet disc that's not on Paul's disc?
TV data is the main thing that is on the Trader disks but not on my DVD-ROM. However I am in the process of creating one or two new DVDs - it will either be one DVD of more radio plus TV data, or separate DVDs of more radio data and TV data, it depends how much there is when I finish scanning.

Right now the long process of sorting and scanning is ongoing (Mike Barker has loaned me several large boxes full of data). I am still hoping to have it/them available towards the end of this year but it depends on work and other priorities.

For those who copy the data to the hard disk the new disks are being structured so it can all be copied into one folder structure (so no conflicting filenames) and an overall index PDF file will also be available.

The new disks will also work with recent editions of Adobe Reader, and the existing disk will get a new index.pdf file at that point too (which will also be available to download).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th May 2016, 7:13 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The DVD is really good, I will want the new ones when available, a wealth of knowledge in them.

Frank
Closed Thread